in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

The Mysterious case of arial and the yen bullet points!

Last post 03-10-2006 3:50 PM by Glenn McDowall. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-06-2006 5:34 PM

Help!

I am formatting a catalogue and my arial bullet points are printing in Japanese Yen. Woe is me.

Any help appreciated
  • 03-06-2006 5:59 PM In reply to

I've had that happen several times. I usually just make the bullet points Times when it does happen.
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 03-07-2006 9:05 AM In reply to

Thanks I have being doing that but its the same for degree symbol and any special charcters...........a royal pain it is..
  • 03-07-2006 1:25 PM In reply to

Sorry, I can't be of more help. There are some limitations in the way XPress handles fonts under OSX/6.5 and the variables on what exactly might be wrong with your Arial font in regards to bullets and degree symbols are just to many to be able to offer you a definitive solution other than "Don't use that font."
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 03-07-2006 3:55 PM In reply to

Thx though! Helvetica here is come....
  • 03-07-2006 5:06 PM In reply to

I've experienced this outside of Quark as well. Was this text cut-n-pasted from a word processing document? I've always suspected that this occured because some word processing software uses a symbol font rather than the bullet within the text being used. For some reason, the fact that this font is missing on another system doesn't get revealed until a fallback font is used, which has the Yen symbol in the bullet's location.
  • 03-08-2006 9:30 AM In reply to

Thanks Portland Type but I have generated the bullet points in Quark.....
  • 03-10-2006 3:50 PM In reply to

With OS9 I used to see yens or apostrophe instead of bullets with Arial when old ppds in combination with old Apple Laserwriter 8.3.4 (I used this one because of it's really simple interface), switching to AdobePS and a Distiller PPD would solve it.

If I remember correctly the PPD would block the downloading of Arial even if you checked the include all fonts. When it got to the RIP it would substitute the characters for the Arial built into the RIP.

If you Distill your postscript is the Arial embedded in your final PDF?
    ... there was the puzzle of why the sun came out during the day, instead of at night when the light would come in useful.
    Terry Pratchet
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)