in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

QuarkXPress 8 fails to launch with File not found [-43] on Vista ent SP1

Last post 02-11-2009 4:42 AM by JamesPerryCMS. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2008 10:21 AM

QuarkXPress 8 fails to launch with File not found [-43] on Vista ent SP1

I have installed (and uninstalled - multiple times) QuarkXPress 8 on Vista (32bit) Enterprise SP1 but every time it produces the error "File Not Found [-43]" immediately on start up.

I am seeing no traffic to the QLA server.

It does not create (either at install or on start up) a Preferences folder of any description anywhere on the system. There is no .prf file created anywhere. I have created a Preferences folder. Still does not work. I cannot see anywhere on the system registry or file where it stores the information that was entered at installation.

I have installed it both in the standard programs folder and outside of the Programs Folder structure. I have changed the permissions so that I have full permissions on the installation directory.

Nothing in any FAQ or previous post addresses this. We had Quark 7, but the installer to 7.31 always failed. We purchased 8 as a last resort and have a function in 2 days that requires files that we previously created in Quark 7. Now we are desperate.

• 09-23-2008 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: QuarkXPress 8 fails to launch with File not found [-43] on Vista ent SP1

Just to add - the program has eventually run - as the local PC administrator. We are working in a domain environment, so this is an unusable workaround. It will not work when run as a domain administrator with full priviledges.

When it did run, it created loads of .prf files in the application directory - not in any Preferences folder.

• 09-24-2008 4:31 AM In reply to

Ha! Can you believe this? QuarkXPress is trying to create it's preferences files and folders in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local when I try to run the application while logged in as a domain user. (That is literally 'Me' not me as in my name)

So the workaround is to create the folder and give all users full permissions to that folder and the program runs. Nasty! Someone somewhere is kicking themselves...

• 12-02-2008 10:24 AM In reply to

Hi, I'm having exactly this issue. When launching Quark 8 on Vista Ent with SP1, this message appears - File not found [-43]. What's weird is that I've installed on my own PC to test, and it works, however, running it on another PC (the PC it's intended for) I get this message. I've noticed that the installation is NOT creating a Quark profile folder under c:\Users\username\appdata\local\ on the machines that it doesn't run on, but it does on my own PC - this may be because it only creates this folder when the software runs successfully perhaps, but I'm not sure. Has anyone come across this issue and found a practical solution (I have tried the above with no joy)?

• 02-11-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunatley nothing worked. After much perseverance, I have managed to resolve the issue on my own and I will post the solution here in case any one else has the problem:

Quark Xpress 8 has difficulty installing in a domain. If installed incorrectly, it will result in a 'File not found [-43]' error when you attempt to run Quark. To ensure correct operation, please carry out the following steps:

Note: Following these steps will reset the Profile of the intended user. To ensure minimum impact to the user, wherever possible, set Quark up prior to configuring the users Profile. Do not log on as the user during the steps below, until instructed to do so.

1. Install Quark onto the PC whilst logged on as a Domain Admin and running Setup.exe
    2. Once the installation is complete, run the file Quark Dependency Setup.exe
    3. Reboot the PC
    4. Log an as Domain Admin and run Quark - You should find it runs without any problems
    5. On the Active Directory Server, ensure the users Profile is set to Local
    6. On the Active Directory Server, ensure that the users Home Folder is set to Local
    7. If present, delete (or backup) the server copy of the users Profile (including the Profile Folder)
    8. If present, delete (or backup) the local copy of the users Profile
    9. If a local copy of the users Profile was present, you will also need to delete the following Registry Key in it's entirety:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-124091729-450379967-312552118-XXXX
    Note: There will most likely be several similar keys in the above location. To ensure you have the correct key, highlight each one in turn, and examine the 'ProfileImagePath' Subkey. It should match the intended user
    10. Once all the above has been carried out, log on as the user
    11. Run Quark - You should find it runs without any problems
    12. Log off
    13. On the File Server, create a Profile Folder for the user and set the relevant permissions
    14. On the Active Directory Server, set the users Profile to Roaming and fill in the appropriate path
    15. On the Active Directory Server, set the users Home Folder to point to the appropriate mapped drive letter and path if applicable
    16. Log on as the user and run Quark - You should find it runs without any problems. During this session, the user will be using the local copy of their profile
    17. Log off - the local copy of the users profile will be synced with the File Server and from now on, the roaming copy will be used
    18. That's it

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)