in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Consecutive numbers on tickets

Last post 05-25-2009 8:36 AM by razertip. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-07-2009 11:13 AM

• razertip
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-07-2009
    • Martensville, SK Canada
    • Posts 2

Consecutive numbers on tickets

I have need to print 1000 tickets 3x4" each with an individual number (#1-1000). Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this in Quark or is there an Xtension that could help?
  • 04-07-2009 1:22 PM In reply to

Re: Consecutive numbers on tickets

Hello there,

Use automatic page numbering on master page at required location (top right or so).

On Win: Go to master page > draw a text box > Select content tool > Press Ctrl+3 (alphanumeric 3 and not numeric 3 key)

On MAC: Go to master page > draw a text box > Select content tool > Press Cmd+3 (alphanumeric 3 and not numeric 3 key)

You will get smoething like <#> in the text box (don't draw it manually, it won't work that way)

Now all the associated pages will have numbering from 1 to number of pages

Ronnie
  • 04-07-2009 1:26 PM In reply to

The short answer is to place a text box on the master page that will hold the number and link it from the master link icon. When the text box is filled (either by actually filling the box or placing a "next box" character after the number), a new page will be added, with a text box ready to receive the next number. The numbers can either be typed or copied from Excel, which is easier. When pasted or imported into the box, all of the new pages will be created at once.

The real question is why do it in Quark? Are the tickets already printed, or will you be printing the tickets with the numbers at one time? You would have to do that on a printer, which isn't the most effecient way to do tickets. First, you will probably need card stock. Can your printer handle thick stock without jamming? Will it run through the rollers without over-taxing them or curling the paper too much? If multiple tickets are printed on one page, you would thread several text boxes together, and if you plan to print the ticket and the number in one pass, you would place the ticket on the master page with the box that will hold the number.

You may be better off having a print shop make the tickets from a single template, and use a numbering machine to do the numbering. I would get some quotes just to see if you won't be spending lots of time, effort and frustration just to save a little money.

• 04-08-2009 2:22 AM In reply to

There is a nice app called EasyNumbering. Just PDF a single ticket and set the number wherever you want on it, as many times you want on it... Easy, really!

HTH!

Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 04-08-2009 8:59 AM In reply to

That's a nice app. I use it for consecutive numbering of Insertion Orders. You can specify leaders (in my case 2 letters) and you can specify how many following numbers (zeros) you want.

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 05-25-2009 2:33 AM In reply to

• jbtroost
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2007
    • Zoetermeer
    • Posts 1

Hello, The cmd-3 on a master page is what I use for consecutive numbering. But what if I have a reception agenda where I want to have a consecutive date on each page?
  • 05-25-2009 8:36 AM In reply to

• razertip
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-07-2009
    • Martensville, SK Canada
    • Posts 2

Jean-Marie Schwartz:

There is a nice app called EasyNumbering. Just PDF a single ticket and set the number wherever you want on it, as many times you want on it... Easy, really!

HTH!

I got EasyNumbering and it's perfect for my needs. We printed 500 consecutive #'d tickets in a flash. Thanks for the suggestion! You could also use it for dates by setting the month name as a prefix. I was pleased at how simple and versatile this app is.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)