in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Inserting Page Numbers in Quark 8 / Windows XP system

Last post 01-26-2011 7:03 AM by eyoungren. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2009 7:35 PM

Inserting Page Numbers in Quark 8 / Windows XP system

Hi there,

I am completely new to Quark 8 but have just typeset my first book with facing pages.

I had to typeset it first before inserting page numbers as I needed to see which page chapter 1 landed on which is actually page 13.

So on page 13 of the document I need the numbers to run from 1 onwards and finish on page 357 of the document (which is not the last page of the actual book).

On all of the pages in the Page Layout box it shows an "A" on each page, and I thought an A means it is a master page.  At the bottom of this page I inserted a text box and then did Control + 3 which just added a page number 13, but no run of page numbers throughout the book.  The <#> symbol did not appear as it did in my training course.

I also went to page 13 of the document and clicked on the green arrow icon -"Section" and ticked Section Start and entered a page number 1.  Again this put a page number 1 on page 13 but no run of page numbers all the way through the book.I thought that as long as you did this on Master Page, then then the page run of numbers would work?

I am completely stuck with this and do not understand why this isn't working!

If anyone can helpI would be most grateful.

Many thanks!

Amanda 

• 12-28-2009 8:21 PM In reply to

Re: Inserting Page Numbers in Quark 8 / Windows XP system

Amanda. CTRL+3 on a Master Page. Section Starts on Layout Pages. You want to select the page in the Document palette that you want to be page one. Then, when in the actual page layout (not Master Pages) start your section.

Hope that helps. 

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 12-28-2009 10:45 PM In reply to

Thanks ever so much for your reply, but I still can't get it to work! I did try what you said and tried so many other things as well but no luck so far [:'(]

I guess  will have to stay stuck for now Smile

Thanks anyway

• 01-04-2010 3:22 PM In reply to

You did not seem to specify if you placed the text box for automatic number on the Master page "A"; I could have misread it, but do check that it is placed on the Master Page itself. Additionally, if you are using facing pages as they are meant to be used, then you will need a text box for numbering on both the left and the right master pages. In facing pages mode, there are two master pages (side by side) to deal with. If you do only one, then you will have only numbers on the left page or only on the right. Also, check and see if your pages are distributed correctly in the layout pallet. If you are using facing pages, then the first page in the document should be on the right side of the dark vertical line that runs down the lower pane of the layout pallet. Page 2 (regardless of whether it is numbered or not) should be on the left side of the line and its facing page (page 3) of the document should be even with it on the right side. If all of your pages are on the left side or all on the right side, then your page number box may be set on the "wrong" master page for where your layout pages are. You should have a single page on the right at the beginning of the book followed by pairs of pages (one on the left and one on the right side of the vertical line) and end with a single page on the left. Hope some of this helps.
    He who lives only in his guilded cage…
  • 01-26-2011 5:48 AM In reply to

(( RE: eyoungren

Amanda. CTRL+3 on a Master Page. Section Starts on Layout Pages. You want to select the page in the Document palette that you want to be page one. Then, when in the actual page layout (not Master Pages) start your section.

Hope that helps.))

This worked great for me, thanks!

The trick to it was, the page has to be a master (with page numbers), right click on that page in the document (or Page Layout) box, then click section, and set it to section start. Works like a charm! Too bad it restarts the page count from that page though, is there a way around that anyone know?

• 01-26-2011 7:03 AM In reply to

You can section start on any page. So if you want a range of pages to be X pages long you would do another section start on the page after the last page of that section.

You can also designate different numerals/letters. So, you could have a section that starts with a page of I, then II, III, IV, and so on.

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)