in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Printing PDF File Has Weird Characters...

Last post 02-05-2010 11:20 AM by splizaat. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2010 6:36 PM

Printing PDF File Has Weird Characters...

HELPPPP!!! I have searched high and low and a project is due TOMORROW. We previously used QuarkXpress 6.52 on all our projects and just updated to 8.01. Now I export>file as pdf.. as i usually did and when I open the PDF file on the computer it looks completely perfect, but when I PRINT the pdf onto paper it replaces a bunch of the text with random characters (mainly "v") Our project is due for print TOMORROW and I am completely freaking out. We've been doing out proofing off the computer this whole time assuming everything would be fine and I went to finally print the first hard copy and it's completely messed up. ANY HELP would be so greatly appreciated at this point! Thank you so much in advance. -Matt
  • 02-02-2010 6:54 PM In reply to

Re: Printing PDF File Has Weird Characters...

Here you can see the problems I'm having. Just updated to 8.12 and it still does it. :( http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8693/photoke.jpg The numbers seem to appear fine it's the normal english text that is having problems.
  • 02-02-2010 9:52 PM In reply to

Have you tried printing directly from QuarkXPress?

Looking at the image it seems to be a font issue. Could you try changing the font? I know that is not a solution but may help if finding the root cause. If that works try and find if you have duplicate copies of the problem font on your computer and remove them. Try printing again after this.

• 02-02-2010 10:18 PM In reply to

The odd part is that is looks fine on the pdf on the computer, but it's the printing that messes up which makes me think it might be a problem with acrobat? I have never had this problem before and other PDF files print just fine. I've even tried deleting lines of text and retyping them then exporting and printing and it doesn't help one bit. Tomorrow I will check for duplicate fonts and try changing one of the lines to a different font to see if that helps. It's IMPACT font which is a standard font ...
  • 02-02-2010 10:24 PM In reply to

It probably IS an acrobat issue, if the PDF looks fine. Did you try printing direclty from QuarkXPress (You may also try embeeding the font by using "Download Fonts" from the "Fonts" tab in QuarkXPress Print Dialog).

It should print fine from QuarkXPress. Send us the file if it still does not work (e-mail sarbjit@quark.com)

Filed under: ,
  • 02-02-2010 10:31 PM In reply to

yes it prints 100% correct from quark directly. The only thing I didn't try is reinstalling Adobe Acrobat so I will try that tomorrow. Thank you!
  • 02-02-2010 10:52 PM In reply to

Perfect.

You do not need to re-install Acrobat. All you need to do is embedd the fonts in your PDF file:

1.  Click File -> Export -> Layout as PDF.

2. Click "Options..." in export dialog.

3. Go to "Fonts" Section, Click "Select All".

4. Push OK and Export the PDF.

It should print fine from Acrobat now.

Filed under: ,
  • 02-03-2010 10:23 AM In reply to

Well there's good and bad news on this one... Good news - it's not my computer, it's not my adobe acrobat (I reinstalled this morning), it's printing fine... Bad news - it's not printing fine on our office printer here (Konica Minolta C550) but prints fine on all our other printers. I know this because I tried printing from a different computer with a different version of adobe to a small laserjet in the office and it printed fine, then with the same computer I printed to the same printer my computer uses and it did the exact same thing. So I suppose the next question becomes - how to fix the printer to print correctly? It prints every other pdf file perfectly even ones from our previous version of quark that I had saved from a few weeks ago.
  • 02-03-2010 11:09 AM In reply to

So we uninstalled, reinstalled and updated print drivers on our printer to latest versions 1.2.0.0 and it still did the same thing. I then changed my PDF Writer (printer) from HP 8100 Series to the actual Konica and tried printing and same problem. So finally in acrobat reader 9.3 i went to print > advanced and clicked "Print as Image" and it prints right now. Not sure what this means for our actual PRESS PRINTER but i hope it appears fine to them?
  • 02-05-2010 6:03 AM In reply to

Did that work on "Embedding Fonts"?

• 02-05-2010 11:20 AM In reply to

No that option was already checked by default. Turns out upon further research that Adobe PDF files sometimes do not translate to PCL printers! Instead they prefer Postscript printers, so to get around it in acrobat print options you need to goto advamced and check "print as image"
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)