in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

very new - keyboard shortcuts

Last post 03-28-2006 6:32 AM by alex.pusca. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-28-2004 12:07 AM In reply to

Big Smile I am using Quark for the very first time. I wondered which are Quark´s keyboard shortcuts for the items in their tools palette? For example I use V as selection tool in Photoshop which is easy and quick for work production. I hope there are some shortcuts, I find it most annoying going to the tools palette every time with the mouse . By the way, I read there are some plugins. I rather use the native program to do it, not more extra software, please. Thanks a lot for any help.
  • 01-18-2005 12:24 PM In reply to

• scram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2005
    • Posts 3

In previous quark versions and when using an old Power Mac we used to be able to switch between tools by using apple/tab or apple/shift/tab - up and down the tool pallete. Anyone remember that? It was a simple one handed shortcut. Now those same combinations switch between programmes and isn't nearly as useful to a heavy quark user.
    Does anyone know how to switch that off?
    I'm using a Quark 6.5 on a G4 running OS 10.3.7

Ta
  • 01-19-2005 4:54 PM In reply to

• cjp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-16-2004
    • Posts 9

I missed that key combination also, but they still have a key combination, just a little more cumbersome. CMD+OPT+SHIFT+TAB will take you up the tool pallette and CMD+OPT+TAB will take you down the tool pallete. It took some getting used to, but I am able to use these key combinations just as quickly as I used the previous ones.
    Good luck
  • 01-19-2005 5:02 PM In reply to

• scram
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-18-2005
    • Posts 3

Brilliant! Thank you so much.
    Just off to twist my fingers around...
  • 02-09-2005 10:24 AM In reply to

• tony p
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 243

I , too, greatly bemoan the loss of the simple Cmd-tab to flip down the tool bar...

Unless you have the dexterity of a card-sharp, anything that requires four keys doesn't qualify as a "shortcut" in my book!

There's another one (I forget what for) than requires 3 or 4 keys on opposite sides of the keyboard and a mouse-click!
  • 02-09-2005 11:24 AM In reply to

tony p:
    I , too, greatly bemoan the loss of the simple Cmd-tab to flip down the tool bar...

Try Option-F8 for Next Tool and Option-Shift-F8 for Previous Tool.
    tony p:
    Unless you have the dexterity of a card-sharp, anything that requires four keys doesn't qualify as a "shortcut" in my book!

Smile
    Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 02-10-2005 10:05 PM In reply to

scram:
    In previous quark versions and when using an old Power Mac we used to be able to switch between tools by using apple/tab or apple/shift/tab - up and down the tool pallete. Anyone remember that? It was a simple one handed shortcut. Now those same combinations switch between programmes and isn't nearly as useful to a heavy quark user.
    Does anyone know how to switch that off?
    I'm using a Quark 6.5 on a G4 running OS 10.3.7

Ta

This function can be turned off. Go to Mac Help
    type in: application switcher
    Scroll to "Switching from one program to another
    then click the "Help me modify the keyboard shortcuts." link
    this opens a window that asks whether or not you wish to use applications switching using hotkeys and you just tell it no.
    Hope this helps. After this setting the original hotkeys for the quark tool palette should work.
  • 02-11-2005 7:03 PM In reply to

[size=18]If you want to keep a tool selected in QXP then hold down OPTION and click on that specific tool.
    And if you wanna toggle between the ITEM and the CONTENT tool then use - SHIFT+F8.....
    CHEERIOS!!!
    [/size]
  • 02-22-2005 12:50 PM In reply to

• gozooo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-22-2005
    • Posts 1

Juno Atkings:
    This function can be turned off. Go to Mac Help
    type in: application switcher
    Scroll to "Switching from one program to another
    then click the "Help me modify the keyboard shortcuts." link
    this opens a window that asks whether or not you wish to use applications switching using hotkeys and you just tell it no.
    Hope this helps. After this setting the original hotkeys for the quark tool palette should work.

This works for OS9 but I haven't found it in OSX yet.

Yay. Big Smile I have yet to try that lovely multiple finger key combination, but the addition of the 4th finger may get tricky. I to have been searching for the allusive cancelling/modifying of the application switcher. I also think the F8 option would be a pain, it's extremely different from what I'm used to.
  • 02-25-2005 5:39 AM In reply to

• Lorna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2004
    • Australia
    • Posts 28

My problem with the command-tab in OSX is that I used to use command-tab in the Quark Find/Chanage box to find tabs so i didn't have to type "/t" but now the OSX overrides it and just switches applications on me.

I can't find the way in OSX to turn that off, so I can keep my Find/Change shortcut working.

Any ideas?

QuarkXpress 6.5
    G5 IMac
    OSX 10.3
  • 02-25-2005 9:10 AM In reply to

Lorna:
    I can't find the way in OSX to turn that off, so I can keep my Find/Change shortcut working.

So have you been to System Prefs? Keyboard and Shortcuts, unselect the box below (sorry my Sys is in French and it's quite difficult to imagine the translation for each menu).
    Let us know.
    Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 03-04-2005 1:54 AM

• Lorna
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-12-2004
    • Australia
    • Posts 28

Yes, that doesn't work, that keyboard shortcut isn't listed there. I have since found a little application called Pull-Tab that does the trick.

It's available here:
    http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape/modules
  • 06-07-2005 9:21 AM In reply to

The Shortcuts indicated by Jean-Marie do work well on QuarkXpress 6.5, Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger.
  • 10-17-2005 4:50 AM In reply to

I am the editor of an Army newspaper in the middle of a transition from Pagemaker to Quark Express. The programs are in windows format. I have used Quark before but it was on a MAC, so I'm kinda lost when it comes to shortcuts on windows. Any help anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated. Trying to learn a new program while still working on a newspaper deadline is tough.
  • 10-17-2005 5:45 AM In reply to

Which shortcuts are you looking for? Pagemaker or Xpress? In any case, I believe both shortcut lists can be found by using the respective help function inside the program.

BTW, I'm in the same boat. Editors/reporters are on Win2000Pro/Pagemaker and Composing staff is on OSX/Xpress. We are also in the process of converting. Past staff unfortunately, had to be compliant with the USAF systems (for Luke AFB Thunderbolt) which meant PC/Pagemaker. Thankfully, we are no longer under those restrictions and can convert.

PS: Scripting Ace, here's my tip. Sort of a keyboard shortcut. Instead of selecting an object and changing it's color via the Color palette, just select the object, grab a swatch from the color palatte and drop it onto the element on the selected item you want to change.
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >