in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Runtime and Bad allocation errors

Last post 05-24-2010 5:25 AM by Sarbjit Singh. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2010 1:58 PM

• jegan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2010
    • Posts 3

Runtime and Bad allocation errors

Frequently when I try to save a file created in Quark 8.12, I can get any or all of the following error messages: 

R6016 Bad allocation error (257)

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library R6016 Not Enough Space for Thread Data 

Quark Express.exe Application Error - The Exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78176039. 

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Contact the applications support team for more information. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running Windows XP Professional SP 3.

• 05-23-2010 11:10 PM In reply to

Re: Runtime and Bad allocation errors

Seems to be an issue with Preferences. Please try this:

1. Quit QuarkXPress, if running.

2. Navigate to C:/Program Files/Quark/QuarkXPress 8. Delete the Preferences folder, if any.

3. Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/<Logged In User>/Application Data/. Delete the folder named Quark.

4. Relaunch QuarkXPress.

Try saving a file.

• 05-24-2010 4:16 AM In reply to

• jegan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2010
    • Posts 3

Thank You for your response.

I wish someone would give me an answer other than a corrupt preference file. That is not the problem. I have deleted the preference file and re-launched Quark until I am blue in the face and can not fix the problem.

This is the exact problem I am having:

I create a page size in Quark of 8.75 x 11.25. Files can have multiple pages and multiple picture imports.
    In Adobe Photoshop I create a 300 dpi CMYK image file. I save the photoshop file as a .tiff file and then import the .tiff image into the Quark page using the Import photo function.
    All working files, in other words all My Quark files, my photoshop files and my tiff files are stored away from my desktop computer and are transferred back and forth from the server where they are stored via a wired network.

When I make a change to an existing .tiff file Quark wants me to update the link to the .tiff file through the Utilities and Usage function. The image shows that it has been modified and needs to be updated.

Now if I go through the update process multiple times Quark will crash telling me I have a (257) Bad allocation error or simply freeze up and the I have to do a Control, Alt, Delete to bring up the Windows Task Manager to cancel Quark and start again.

What is going on that is causing this problem? Believe me it is not the preferences file.
  • 05-24-2010 4:21 AM In reply to

This could happen if QuarkXPress is not able to access the file to be updated (the network could be busy at that point of time).

Are you able to open the same file later?or does this corrupt the file?

To rule out network congestion I suggest that you place images locally and try the same steps.

• 05-24-2010 5:01 AM In reply to

• jegan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-21-2010
    • Posts 3

What exactly is a Bad Allocation or a Runtime error?

• 05-24-2010 5:25 AM In reply to

In easy words, A runtime error (or bad allocation) is generated when a program does not get the data it was expecting.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)