in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Keyboard shortcuts v9

Last post 04-03-2013 10:53 AM by empresshari. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2011 10:32 AM

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

Keyboard shortcuts v9

Hi all, I have a couple of niggling issues with keyboard shortcuts on v9, hopefully someone out there will be able to clear up. I imagine most of my problem is that I've updated from 7 straight to 9 and I've gotten a little out of the loop. • Cmd+Z (Undo) will only undo one step no matter what number I set in preferences. I had no idea how reliant I was on CMd+Z until I couldn't use it. • Cmd+Shift used to allow me to switch straight to 'select item' tool (top cursor in tool box). I know I can type 'v' to do the same thing but this is of little use when I'm in a text box, which means I've to click outside a text box and then type v (or just click the tool in the toolbox which seems quicker than the 'shortcut'). Can I still get Cmd+Shift to work in v9...please say yes. • Weirdly, Cmd+Alt+Shift+, doesn't work for incrementally increasing leading anymore, whereas Cmd+Alt+Shift+; does work for incrementally decreasing it. Any suggestions as to why this is? I feel like my fingers have been cut off without my shortcuts.... please help and tell me it's just some box I haven't ticked somewhere. Thanks.
  • 07-22-2011 3:35 AM In reply to

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

Re: Keyboard shortcuts v9

What? No Quark King or Queen able to set me straight about shortcuts?
  • 07-22-2011 5:54 AM In reply to

• AD
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Posts 348

1. For undo problem check under Preferences > Undo if the redo key is set as cmd+Shift+Z

2. To switch tools try using cmd+option+shift+tab to select previous tool and cmd+shift+tab to switch back to text tool. But I guess you can still move items in text mode buy holding down cmd key.

3. For leading shortcuts, open system preferences > keyboard > keyboard shortcuts and click on Restore Defaults.

• 07-22-2011 2:14 PM In reply to

You seem to be on a PC, so my experience might be different than yours, but the key commands you mention mostly still work as before for me. I also upgraded directly from 7 to 9. The item select tool is a new problem. In the Mac OS I was able to write a simple script that will select the item tool, and assigned a key stroke under system preferences so I can select that tool without using the "v."  I don't know if there's an equivalent way of doing that in Windows.

• 07-25-2011 3:09 AM In reply to

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

HI, Thanks for the reply. No, all is well in preferences. Cmd+Z selected, 10 times. It only works intermittently and if it does it only works once at a time.
  • 07-25-2011 3:10 AM In reply to

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

Hi, Thanks for the reply. No, I'm on Mac OS X 10.6.8. Just got a shiny new iMac so upgraded to Quark 9 from Quark 7, clean install.
  • 07-25-2011 3:24 AM In reply to

• AD
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Posts 348

Redo key should be set as Cmd+Shift+Z under Preferences > Undo. (Selecting cmd+Z there will toggle undo and redo once each)

• 07-25-2011 5:14 AM In reply to

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

AD:

Redo key should be set as Cmd+Shift+Z under Preferences > Undo. (Selecting cmd+Z there will toggle undo and redo once each)

Thanks so much. That sorted it.
  • 07-25-2011 6:15 AM In reply to

• AD
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Posts 348

Glad that worked, did you also try restore defaults to fix leading shortcuts ?

• 08-05-2011 4:53 AM In reply to

• Vaun
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2006
    • Ireland
    • Posts 40

Hi, Restoring defaults didn't resolve my problem with leading shortcut. ⎇⇧⌘; works for incrementally decreasing leading but, ⎇⇧⌘' doesn't work for incrementally increasing leading. I've checked system prefs and as far as I can tell there aren't any conflicting shortcuts. Does that shortcut work for anyone else or is it just another v9 thing?
  • 01-10-2012 12:54 PM In reply to

• Florie
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 01-10-2012
    • Posts 9

Command Option Shift " increases leading in tenths / Command Option Shift : decreases leading in tenths / Command Shift " and : increase & decrease in whole points / As before. I upgraded from 6.5 to 9, and I'm hating several things, but trying adjust my attitude. (Can't seem to make paragraphs here. Is there a trick to it?)
  • 01-11-2012 2:59 AM In reply to

Florie:
    (Can't seem to make paragraphs here. Is there a trick to it?)

Are you on Safari? I guess you are. Anyway, a paragraph is made with tagging Less Than sign + letter p + Greater Than sign. And to close a para, just add a Slash before the letter p in a similar tag. You can also use breaks replacing letter p with letters br. Another way to get yet sexy messages is to switch to Firefox. HTH.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 04-02-2013 3:18 PM In reply to

Hi there, did you ever resolve the leading shortcut issue? I've been having the exact same problem for several months on both my MacPro (brand new) and MacBook Pro (2011) and just found this thread. It will decrease find but not increase. So very frustrating!

• 04-03-2013 3:17 AM In reply to

• AD
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-26-2006
    • Posts 348

Try disabling the system shortcut below

Open system preferences > keyboard > keyboard shortcuts tab > select "keyboard & Text Inputs" on left > Uncheck "move focus to window drawer"

• 04-03-2013 10:53 AM In reply to

THANK YOU!!! That worked!!!

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)