in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

App showing wrong currency

Last post 10-21-2011 5:33 AM by Andre Abou Chami Campana. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-19-2011 6:23 AM

App showing wrong currency

I have exported an app using App Studio Factory and the app shows the wrong currency for my in-app purchase. These are the steps that I went through: created an in-app purchase within iTunes Connect and associated that with a Product within Quark's Publishing Portal. The price tier for that purchase was Tier 2 (1.99 USD). Now my app shows this in-app purchase as "R$ 1,99". I know there is no way to pick a currency within iTunes Connect and I know there is no way to insert a currency within App Studio Portal. I also noticed that, when I attempt to buy the product, an alert appears on the iPad and the price there is in USD. I'm assuming the mistake is being made by an array within the exported app, which assumes the currency from the location of the app. I also tried to export my app using only the Localized settings for the English language, but with no success. What do I do?
  • 10-19-2011 8:51 AM In reply to

Re: App showing wrong currency

hello could uou specify which template you are using ? Could you also send a screenshot ? I assume that you are testing on the device and not the simulator ? Finally, can you detail how you created your sandbox user for testing. You must know that your user is linked to a specific store. Which store did you choose ? matthieu aquafadas
  • 10-19-2011 9:06 AM In reply to

I'm using the Kiosk template. I already sent two screenshots to techsupp@quark.com. I would upload those screenshots here, but there is no such functionality. Is there any other email address I should send to? I'm testing on my device (iPad 1 WiFi). I haven't created a sandbox user for testing (I really don't think this problem is related to that). See, Apple DOES NOT use Brazilian Reals. Unless Apple DOES USE Brazilian Reals within the Sandbox environment, this error should not be occurring.
  • 10-19-2011 9:53 AM In reply to

hello The currency used by the app when displaying prices is driven by your regional formats (check your General Settings on iPad). It is unrelated to the language. You can have an app in English showing prices in R$. Here is how the price is displayed: 1. the app connects to the AppStore. Which Store ? This is the last store that you used on your iPad, or the store associated with your sandbox user if you used that user. 2. The app retrieves the price, given by the Store. For example, if you are connected to the US Store, and your in-app is worth 1,99$, it will return 1.99$ 3. Then the regional settings are used to display the price. This means that a currency is added to your price. If your regional settings specify Portuguese > Brazil, the the displayed price will be R$ 1.99 Note in that case that no currency conversion is happening. It is impossible to do as Apple does not return converted prices, but only prices for the local store. When you click on the purchase button, then Apple will take offer and print a confirmation message with the price expressed in the Store currency ($1.99 in that case) matthieu
  • 10-19-2011 10:46 AM In reply to

Ok. I get what you're saying. But can't Quark change this in the app? As I see, it is a coding thing and it can cause tremendous confusion. If you show one price without a conversion, but using the currency from the iPad settings, the consumer gets the price wrong. The app must show the price in the currency that the app store provides it in.
  • 10-19-2011 11:03 AM In reply to

Even better: don't write the code so the app puts the currency there! Simple and easy.
  • 10-19-2011 4:32 PM In reply to

Matthieu, let's clarify things. You are correct to say that the app retrieves the amount from Apple. And this amount comes in the currency that the client's App Store account operates on. But it is not an Apple standard to put a currency symbol in front of that value. In fact, I have never seen an app with that functionality in an in-app purchase. If there is such an app, it is certainly a messy one. Here's why: there are some stores that run on US Dollars. Actually, this happens more offer than not. There are more countries that run on USD then stores running the countries' native currency. Moreover, Apple already takes care of the conversion hassle. If a store runs on a currency other than the US dollar, Apple converts the amount accordingly. This is why it is IMPOSSIBLE to a developer set the currency for him- or herself within iTunes Connect. And this is also why Apple works with price tiers rather than free floating numbers for prices. Another thing: if Quark's App is placing a currency symbol that it pulls out of the regional iPad settings, then the App should be able to recognize what is the currency the app is running on and make the conversion accordingly. I really think this would be a greater hassle for Quark than simply forgetting all about this currency symbol. The bottom line is this: putting a currency symbol according to the regional settings of each app does not seem to be an Apple standard feature. Even if it is, how can I remove it?
  • 10-20-2011 6:19 AM In reply to

Matthieu, any response?
  • 10-20-2011 5:28 PM In reply to

hello yes, the issue has been fixed in all kiosks and will be available in the next update of AppStudio Factory. thanks matthieu
  • 10-20-2011 5:32 PM In reply to

And when will that be?
  • 10-21-2011 5:33 AM In reply to

Matthieu, can't you send me just a patch for this currency thing? This is the only thing that's keeping me from submitting my app to Apple! Je vous en prie.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)