in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

TOOLBAR

Last post 04-27-2012 9:11 AM by migman. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-27-2012 4:54 AM

TOOLBAR

Hi Everyone

I am a new member and apologise if this subject has been dealt with before.

I am using Quark 8.1.6.2 on a new iMac running OSX 10.7.3

Everything works correctly and no problems with the installation.

However, when opening/creating a new project the Toolbar does not display any graphics showing which tool to select.

Is this a normal problem and is there any workaround for it?

Thanks in advance for help.

BRADSHAW

• 04-27-2012 5:25 AM In reply to

Re: TOOLBAR

Bradshaw:

…the Toolbar does not display any graphics showing which tool to select.

I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you have the tools and measurments pallets open? If so, what do you see or not see that is in my screenshot?

Picture hosted by Pixentral
  • 04-27-2012 5:36 AM In reply to

Hello Migman

Many thanks for your response.

Your screenshot shows the Toolbar with graphics. My Toolbar is just grey with no information at all. When I put the cursor on the grey area it changes to white but still no symbols.

The Measurement Bar is OK.

Does this help you?

Thanks

Bradshaw

• 04-27-2012 6:00 AM In reply to

Hi again Migman

HOLD EVERYTHING!!!!

I have just been playing around with Quark and discovered that there is no Preference folder in the Quark folder.

So . .  . I created one and restarted Quark.

The Preference folder began filling with items and when Quark finally opened all the items in the Toolbar were there?????

I am not sure what I have done but it has solved my problem and could be of use to someone else.

Unless the problem re-occurs my thanks to you for your help.

BRADSHAW

• 04-27-2012 9:11 AM In reply to

By default, Quark creates a preferences folder in Users>My User Name>Library>Preferences>Quark>Quark 8 (or what ever version you have). If you create a folder and call it Preferences within the Quark application folder (as you have done), new default preferences will be created within that folder the next time you launch Quark, and the other preferences will be ignored.

The first place Quark will look for prefs is within the application folder. If it doesn't find them there, it looks to the library. If they aren't there, it will create a new set in the library. The prefs in the library will work for the current user logged in at the time, so if you want different users to each have their own prefs, let them use the prefs in the library. Prefs in the application folder will take priority, so all users will use the same set if there are prefs in the application folder. Neither is better than the other, it just depends on how you want to work.  If you are the only user on your Mac, it doesn't matter where the prefs are, or how you choose to replalce them.

Instead of making a prefs folder in the application folder, you could have moved or removed the one in the library, and the new set would have been created there. Making one in the application folder is what many people advise when dealing with issues that may be caused by bad preferences, because it's quick and easy, and if it doesn't solve the problem, they can be removed, and the old prefs are still in the library. Since your old prefs in the library seem to have been bad, I'd remove them, whether or not you choose to keep the new set in the application folder. You wouldn't want to go back to using them anyway.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)