in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

How to turn off hyphenation in quark 8

Last post 08-18-2012 2:59 AM by migman. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2012 8:41 AM

How to turn off hyphenation in quark 8

Please can someone help me! I am new to quak 8 and cant seem to turn off hyphenation. It was in H&Js in quark 6, but Im unsure now. Thanks
  • 08-17-2012 4:26 PM In reply to

• omegaman
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-09-2012
    • Penrith, NSW Australia
    • Posts 571

Re: How to turn off hyphenation in quark 8

Not sure about a global option, but in Quark 9.3.1 use Command+Shft+F to bring up the Paragraph Attributes dialog box and you'll see H&J there with a drop down selection where you can choose No Hyphenation. This works for selected text only though.
    27-inch IMAC - Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 - Memory 16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 - Software OS X 10.8.5 - QuarkXpress 9.5.3.1 and QuarkXpress 10.1
  • 08-18-2012 2:59 AM In reply to

Re: How to turn off hyphenation in quark 8

It's still done the same way. I haven't used Quark 6 for a few years now, but in 8, H&J is in the Edit menu. You will see that there are several H&J sets in the default document (I think there may have just been one in Quark 6), and because H&J is a paragraph attribute, editing one of the existing H&J sets won't affect text that doesn't use that particular set, so it's not as simple as it may have been in the past, but still done the same way.

If all of your text is using the Standard H&J set, you could just edit that and be done, but if you want some text with hyphenation and some without, you're better off editing a new set, and applying it to your text. That will be much easier to do if you have been assigning paragraph styles, as you would only need to edit the style itself. If you are using local formatting, you will have to apply the new H&J set as you go.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)