in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Bullets that wrap

Last post 10-04-2007 9:50 PM by britsmith. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2007 4:06 PM

Bullets that wrap

I know this is a most basic question, but it's been a long time since I used Quark....Just bought a copy (after being away for years). It's great to be quarking again!

Anyway, what is the secret to making a bulleted list wrap (so that the text on the second line doesn't fall under the bullet)?

I appreciate the assistance.

Kindly,

Joe
  • 09-17-2007 5:15 AM In reply to

Bullets that wrap

put your curser on the first line where you want your every line under it to line up to...

Then hit command+\

i.e.

Before
    • this is the first line
    this is the second line

After pressing command+\ before the word "this"
    • this is the first line
    this is the second line

[edit] stupid spaces did't come accross, you get the idea though[/edit]
    Marcus
    Twitter: @MarcusStringer
    Facebook: Marcus.Stringer
    www.midlandtypesetters.com.au
  • 09-21-2007 8:07 PM In reply to

• time18
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-21-2007
    • UK
    • Posts 17

Bullets that wrap

Another solution would be to create tabs, a little long winded if you want various different indents, but simple to do.
  • 09-21-2007 8:31 PM In reply to

• Emma
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2004
    • Leeds, UK
    • Posts 1,242

Bullets that wrap

I disagree on the tabs front. Supposing the customer decides they want to change the font or the size. And then half your tabs are in the wrong place. If you've really had to set different tabs for different indents, that's a lot of style sheet editing (and even worse if you haven't used style sheets!).

Whereas the 'indent here' character, as described by Marcus, is completely flexible. The spacing will grow with the type, by definition the indent will always be exactly where you want it.
  • 10-04-2007 5:30 PM In reply to

• geo
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-1970
    • Mequon, WI
    • Posts 393

Bullets that wrap

You can now use a "new" method that works great if you want to bullet to actually be outside of the measure (to the left of copy).

Add a word space before the bullet. Put your curser between the space and the bullet, and start kerning. It will move the bullet completly out of the text box to the left. Kern until your text lines up with the text underneath the bullet.

With quark 7 the bullets outside the box now appear "normally" in the quark document, just left of the text box it is in. Then copy the space and bullet and paste into each new sentence that needs the bullets.

The handy part of this is you don't have to indent non-bulleted text to line up with bulleted text.
    Filed under:
  • 10-04-2007 9:50 PM In reply to

Bullets that wrap

That's clever, and works a treat!
    Britsmith