in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

saving multiple pages as .eps files to open in Distiller

Last post 07-12-2005 3:15 PM by mkeedy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-09-2005 1:26 AM

I am trying to save a 30 page document in Quark as .eps files so that I can then open them up in Distiller and save as .pdf files. Is there a way to do this in Quark-I only seem to be able to save .eps files one page at a time.
    Thanks.
  • 07-09-2005 8:02 PM In reply to

Hi eagordon,

why do you want to produce single page PDF files? Any specific reason for that?
    Why don't you simply produce a 30 page PDF file via the QuarkXPress print dialog and printing via the virtual "Adobe PDF" printer? This ensures that all fonts are embedded inside the output file whereas an QuarkXPress EPS file does not include the necessary fonts (at least not if you don't use a 3rd party Tension like FontWizard from Jo Lauterbach or FontIncluder XT from callas Software) which makes it necessary that Acrobat Distiller has access to the needed fonts.
  • 07-10-2005 5:44 AM In reply to

Because I have to save the files as .pdf's using the Prinergy Refining settings as per the printer's request for the job I'm doing. Apparently I will get sharper, cleaner files that way. So, I have to somehow turn my Quark files into files that can be read by Distiller and then Distill them into .pdf's using the Prinergy settings. I have done the necessary set up in Distiller, I just need to figure out a way to get the multiple page files into Distiller for translation.
  • 07-10-2005 8:51 AM In reply to

Ho eagordon,

it seems as if you have a totally wrong picture of what using the virtual "Adobe PDF" printer means.
    if you print via "Adobe PDF" you do nothing different then printing into a PostScript file which is automatically transferred to Acrobat Distiller. By pre-selecting the correct joboptions within the printer's options you have full control over the actual conversion process.
    So this has neither to do with low quality or a black box which can't be controlled by the user. It's only a question of a little knowhow and using it correctly.
  • 07-12-2005 3:15 PM In reply to

• mkeedy
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-11-2005
    • Anamosa, Iowa
    • Posts 6

E.A....

There are several ways to do this, but first a question:

Are you saying you need 30 individual PDF files... one per page? We have a 1,000-page catalog that has to be revised twice a year, and our print house wants each page as a separate PDF file. We have a pretty inexpensive and slick way to do this, but it might not work for you if you don't need individual PDF files.

By the way, Distiller is looking for a PS (Postscript) file that describes the whole page, not EPS (encapsulated Postscript) that is a graphics format.

Mark
    QuarkXpress 6.5
    Mac OS X 10.4.1
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)