in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Centre a HTML web page in browser window

Last post 12-26-2011 7:13 AM by Deepak_Kumar_Hello. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-01-2008 5:37 AM

Idea [I] Centre a HTML web page in browser window

Hi all I've been using Quark for about 15 years for print, but have just started 'dipping my toe' into looking at web design using it. I have created a simple, functioning HTML visual for a site for a client, which they are very happy with the look of, and I want to be able now to do the job for real, using Quark. However, I want the web pages (of 800 pix width) to be centred on the browser window. I have read the previous forum answers regarding how to do this, but they seem to relate to QID, and I am just using the simple 'web page' layout in Quark. Can anyone help me with a simple (please make it simple!) solution? Any help very welcome!!
  • 08-01-2008 10:20 AM In reply to

Re: Centre a HTML web page in browser window

Hi Spacemonkey,

The tip in the web discussion section on the forum that mentions how to center a page in QID but it works in the web layout... the very simple and short version is this...

1) On the new page dialog or the layout properties dialog, make sure the "Variable Width Page" checkbox is checked.

2) On your master page, insert a 1 pixle wide text box on the left and right side of your pages that run the entire length of the layout (you may need to adjust the length of these boxes on each page created by that master page because the page length will change depending on what content you insert on that page...).

3) Go into the modify dialog for each text box, under the text tab choose the "Make Variable Width" checkbox.

4) Layout your pages using that masterpage or update your existing web master pages with these changes...

Now, as was noted in the previous posts regarding this issue, you must: 

• make sure those boxes are as long as your content (which may need to be modified per page depending on what content is on that page) 
    • make sure your content at the edges of your pages does not touch or overlap those boxes

Think of those two boxes as bumpers which grow or shrink to push your content to the center of the box.  It's not the most elegant workaround but it should work and we are working on actually fixing this in future versions.

Hope that helps!

-Drew 

Drew Bartlett (Quark)
    Technical Product Management - Desktop
    Filed under: ,
  • 08-01-2008 12:46 PM In reply to

This doesn't work right. I tried it but it only moves 1 of my boxes to the middle not all of the content.
  • 09-18-2008 1:15 PM In reply to

• nitro
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-24-2004
    • Stamford, UK
    • Posts 115

Its much nicer to use css you centre your pages.

You need to export as XHTML then open the html file in a text editor and add the following inside the style tags

body {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

.container {margin: 0 auto;position: relative;width: 700px;}

You will need to adjust the width depending on the size of your layout

Then add the following after the body tag

<div class="container">

then close the tag by placing </div> before the </body> tag at the end of your html

You should also change the first line of html to <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

This is because Quark claims to export XHTML to XHTML 1.1 but it doesn't! it actually creates XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Filed under: ,
  • 10-08-2008 6:10 AM In reply to

• nitro
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-24-2004
    • Stamford, UK
    • Posts 115

Nice to see my answer has been added to the Quark Knowledge Base Here Now where's my credit!!
  • 10-09-2008 10:47 AM In reply to

Agreed--and now there--Thanks for the excellent solution!

Kindest Regards,

Craig Lanning
    Solutions Manager
    Quark, Inc.
  • 10-11-2008 9:28 AM In reply to

• nitro
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-24-2004
    • Stamford, UK
    • Posts 115

Hehe, Thanks! I should have asked for money instead lol
  • 04-14-2009 5:11 PM In reply to

thx for the great tip! you saved my day (my night) ;)

greetings

Watz Smile

• 05-13-2009 5:03 PM In reply to

I made a test page with this and it appears only my image boxes center in the browser and not my text boxes. Any ideas? Ok, I just converted it to an image box and it looks like the only thing that is being centered is the box that the farthest back. If I put anything over that box it wont be centered.

Dave Scott
    Freelance Graphic Designer
    www.davescottdesign.com
  • 08-08-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

This did not work for me do you have any suggestion.

I can send you the document.

Fran Ainscough

djdesign.graphics@att.net

• 11-11-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

Drew, why hasn't Quark addressed this problem yet? The work around doesn't function when there is anything -- type or an image -- overlapping anything else. For example, something as simple as text on a block of color. The block of color centers, but the text doesn't. It doesn't matter whether you export the text as an image, if there is anything overlapping anything the centering is all off. Changing the HTML in an image editor is a huge pain in the butt , and calls into question the whole point of using Quark in the first place, because then every page that gets updated or changed in the Quark file must be opened and laboriously changed in the image editor. Basically, Quark appears to have given up and won't introduce a fix to this stupid little problem. Pretty lame.
  • 11-12-2009 4:40 AM In reply to

I absolutely agree with mdhavey. Centering web pages is fundamental to producing an up-to-date, modern-looking web site. You'd be hard put to find many sites designed by decent agencies within the past year or so that aren't centred. Left-ranged sites look instantly old-fashioned. Call it the fickleness of fashion, but I'm afraid that's the way it is. Having to bodge a workaround is simply not acceptable. I shouldn't have to bodge something as basic as this. I shouldn't have to fiddle with the page code. I shouldn't have to lay myself prey to the aggravation that one slip could cause. I'm a designer, not a programmer. Imagine presenting a design for a web site to a client: "Here's my design. Ignore the fact that it isn't centred – just try to imagine it that way. It may look as though I'm using a $50 piece of software to provide you with this design, but actually I'm using an industry-standard application costing several hundreds (which I've been using for 20 years now – I'm so loyal, you see!). Obviously you'll want it centred, but I'm going to have to pass it over to some actual tecchie web developers who have the proper tools to do a decent job for you. It'll cost you more, and I won't have total control over it any more. But there we go. That's the way it is when you fix your colours so strongly to the Quark mast. So sorry!" So FIX it! My loyalty is getting severely strained.
  • 11-13-2009 2:37 AM In reply to

Centering of a web-site is the only thing my clients don't like about the sites I've designed. They look great (with the free-reign that Quark allows for tweaking the design), but would/could look MUCH better if the browser page adjusted content centrally depending on screen res etc . . . I wrote to the coding engineers (or asked for this request to be passed on) some time ago, it would be helpful to all your customers to know Quark's time-line on the patch for this. Thanks in advance!

Mike

• 11-17-2009 10:27 AM In reply to

An update: Drew apparently no longer works at Quark as I've tried to contact him directly and get a no-such-name bounceback from Quark. That's unfortunate, because Drew was good at answering questions, and now it appears that no one at Quark is monitoring this forum. As Mike says, designing web sites in Quark is wonderfully easy and intuitive, especially for doing things like creating links (an annoying task in Dreamweaver for example) -- but this error, and Quark's apparent inability or unwillingness to fix it, calls into question Quark's continued viability. I second Mike's frustration at the lack of any kind of communication from Quark.

Please, please, if anyone from the company is monitoring this forum, let us know what is going on.

• 01-19-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

Re: Centre a HTML web page in browser window / or in an E-Mail

Hi there,

I received an Ad-E-Mail from Quark this morning - also available under:

http://app.info.quark.com/e/es.aspx?s=802&e=133425&elq=182e979ff76842a6a5b804cafb2b1697

2 Questions in conjunction with it:

1) Is this E-Mail/HTML-Content generated in XPress?

2) If so, did you (Quark) or your agency proceed this fiddly way in order to center the E-Mail/HTML-Content or did you or they use another app to generate it?

XPressing-HTML: This topic really deserves here and there some fine-tuning and if possible, a (maybe deeper) video tutorial as it opens some really cool functionality in the Xpress-environment. Personally, I experienced the same frustration when:

- trying to center a page layout
    - trying to create and integrate a navigation menu, regarding the fact, that no customization of the sub-menu level is possible at this time.

BUT

So much development work has been done on Quark’s side yet. I guess it just needs some time to implement the rest.

In Quark we trust.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >