in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

How do I Set Tabs in QuarkXpress 4.1

Last post 09-10-2010 10:44 AM by eyoungren. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2010 9:04 AM

How do I Set Tabs in QuarkXpress 4.1

I am at my wits end on how to set tabs for a book I've formatted in Quark 4.1! I think I'm setting them and it works for one line, but when I go to the next paragraph and hit Tab, it defaults back to the 1" tab. I can't believe I'll have to reset the tab at the beginning of every paragraph! The Quark HELP doesn't help a bit. Anyone know what's up? Thanks. -Ray
  • 09-10-2010 9:12 AM In reply to

Re: How do I Set Tabs in QuarkXpress 4.1

Ray, you have to select multiple paragraphs at once if you want it to apply to the paragraphs you select. The reason for this is to allow you the freedom to have different tab settings in different paragraphs.

If you need to have these tabs the same way in all of the copy, then you will have to select all the copy and apply the tab settings. Alternatively, you can create a paragraph style that has this tab setting and apply the paragraph style to the paragraphs you need the tab setting on.

Hope that helps. 

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 09-10-2010 9:30 AM In reply to

eyoungren: Thanks a lot. Damn, it was frustrating! You saved me back in February with an issue regarding converting QuarkXpress files to PDF, as well. I owe you a few beers! Ray J.
  • 09-10-2010 9:36 AM In reply to

Glad I could help again Ray.

Thanks for the beers! Big Smile 

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
  • 09-10-2010 9:40 AM In reply to

Hello Ray,

Just to add to that... you mentioned creating a Tab at the beginning of each of each para; it maybe that you want to look at the "First line" setting (found with the Left and Right indent settings in the "Formats" palette). That gives you an indent at the beginning of each para without having to key in a Tab.

(As Erik suggests, if you are not so familiar with Style Sheets, a few moments spent experimenting with them could transform your Quark experience very much for the better!)

(Frustrating week here Erik - I'll be in touch at the weekend!)

- - - - - - - - - - -
    tony p
  • 09-10-2010 9:54 AM In reply to

Hadn't thought about the paragraph indent Tony. Good idea!

Hope it gets better Tony. I will be looking for your email! 

erik@quarktronic.com
  • 09-10-2010 10:29 AM In reply to

Thanks, very helpful and problem solved!!! -Ray
  • 09-10-2010 10:44 AM In reply to

Nice assist Tony! 

erik@quarktronic.com
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)