in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Batch convert .qxd to .pdf or .eps

Last post 10-03-2011 11:27 AM by Looca. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2011 6:34 PM

• Looca
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2011
    • Posts 3

Batch convert .qxd to .pdf or .eps

Greetings, I'ts my first post on this forum and I'm already asking a question :) So, here it is: I have a massive .qxd file archive, old newspapers from 2000 to 2011... lots of qxd's. All those files need to be converted to PDF so they can be uploaded on a web archive. I would like to know is there a way to batch-convert .qxd files to .pdf, like selecting an entire folder with .qxd files to be automaticaly converted. If that is not possible, even batch converting to .eps would help, so I can batch-convert eps to pdf later. I have tried many macro-recorders to do the trick but they simply do not work. Quark asks too much questions about some links that are broken, regardless those links are not necessary... but there are many more reasons why I cant use macro recorders... Ok that would be it, Thank you in advance :) P.S. I'm a PC user, but if a solution is mac-only, i would try with a virtual machine.
  • 10-02-2011 7:01 AM In reply to

Re: Batch convert .qxd to .pdf or .eps

Hi Looca,

You can try a batch converting using Adobe Acrobat Professional (I'd recommend version 8 or higher), having the Adobe PDF printer as the default one.

Simply open a Explorer window, select the desired files, right-click on the selection and choose the "Convert to Adobe PDF" command from the contextual menu (the name of this command may vary, depending on the version of Acrobat).

BUT this procedure can be done only using XPress too, it will open QuakXPress AND each document, directly with the Print dialog box open. If you have broken links to certain picture files and/or missing fonts, you'll continue to receive error messages. I guess there is no way to pass this error messages without fixing the problems.

Keep in mind that this procedure is memory consuming, so try first with a small number of files (this mai depend on how big are the QXP files).

I know my answer does not help you very much, but it's the only one I know.

Regards

Every day is a good day to learn something new.

http://romanianstampnews.blogspot.com/
  • 10-02-2011 7:13 PM In reply to

• Looca
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2011
    • Posts 3

Thanks for the reply :) Yes i know that solution... that is the one that I hold as a "plan B" because it would take me months of work to convert it that way, it is about 192.000 of qxd files, and each one asks about 3 questions (missing links, sometimes missing fonts and their substitutes, and "save changes" at the end)... it would really be a lot lot job. There is an old extension for QuarkXPress called "Batch EPS". I have downloaded it but it's a BatchEPSXT.sit, so it's for a mac and for quark 8. It says in the description that it can convert a selected folder of QXD files into .eps... I got to see how that works, maybe it will bypass the question, or maybe is the same thing as "convert to PDF" in windows. Thanks anyway :)
  • 10-03-2011 2:29 AM In reply to

I would barely rely on a batch convert "system" for qxd files. When I open old documents on my side I have to check a bunch of details so I don't think a batch convert would be safe. From my point of view.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 10-03-2011 10:52 AM In reply to

We use "Printools" from Badia Software to batch convert quark files to pdf. I think only a mac version, but it works very well. It checks for missing/modified links and you can tell it to just continue if it finds any if you aren't worried about them.Costs $99, but worth it if you have alot of quark files to make into pdfs.

Kris
  • 10-03-2011 11:27 AM In reply to

• Looca
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-01-2011
    • Posts 3

Now this is helpful! Thank you kris! I will install OSX on a virtual machine, including QuarkXPress and Acrobat Pro, first I will try with the trial version of Printools, if it does the trick, 99$ is a small price to pay. Thank you very much! :)
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)