in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

"stretch to fit box" doesn't work

Last post 12-14-2011 12:39 PM by printexpert. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-17-2011 12:01 PM

"stretch to fit box" doesn't work

Sometimes with certain images the "stretch to fit box" option isn't available. The key command does nothing and it's grayed out in the menu. Other images on the same document function as expected. I've tried resaving the image in multiple formats — psd, tiff, jpeg, eps — but I can't get the stretch to fit function to be available for that particular image in any format. What is it about an image that makes the feature unavailable?

• 11-17-2011 1:26 PM In reply to

Re: "stretch to fit box" doesn't work

If you're using XPress v.9, check the chain between X and Y percentages (magnification) on the measurement palette (or in the Item > Modify > Picture dialog box), to see if it is "broken" or not.

HTH

Every day is a good day to learn something new.

http://romanianstampnews.blogspot.com/
  • 11-17-2011 2:09 PM In reply to

That was it, thanks. Why have I never noticed that before? I don't use the stretch to fit function very often, but it seems that problem ought to have come up more often since the latest upgrade. (Also wondering what the purpose is... seems like if you're using the stretch to fit function at all, locking the X and Y scaling is precisely the aspect of resizing the image that you're trying to disable.)

• 11-18-2011 1:44 AM In reply to

I am glad it worked!

Regards

• 12-08-2011 5:11 AM In reply to

• reixirei
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 6

Hi! How are you doing? I'm new in this forums and i've had that same problem for months. I finally saw the chains and could stretch to fitch, but my problem is that i usually work with lots of pictures, and it takes me a long time to unchain every box. Is there a way to just set it from preferences? I use Quark 8 in other computer and this doesn't happen, it's driving me crazy! 

• 12-08-2011 5:25 AM In reply to

Hi,

I do not have acces right now to version 9 for checking this, but try to create a new item style for a picture box, where the"chain" is in your wished position. Or you can use the Item Find/Change command.

This evening (my local time) I'll check this again.

Hope this helps

• 12-08-2011 5:36 AM In reply to

• reixirei
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 6

Thanks. I don't know how to create a new item style. I've been looking for it in item/modify but i can't find it. It's weird how they've changed this from Quark 8 to 9, now it seems to be harder instead of easier! Anyway, i'll wait for you to check it, i think our local time is the same. Thanks again!

• 12-08-2011 6:17 AM In reply to

Look in Edit > Item Style > New. In the new dialog box, check what is fitting for you.

• 12-08-2011 6:36 AM In reply to

• reixirei
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 6

I was just coming back to tell you i'd found it! :) But... not working either, i unchain the sizes on the new style item, but it doesn't work either, i have to click on it for each box. It's soooo annoying! :(  I'm going to keep searching until i feel like throwing the computer through the window... ;)

• 12-08-2011 6:50 AM In reply to

Create a style with chained sizes and another one with unchained sizes. Using the Edit > Item Find/Change command I guess you'll be able to change one item style to the other one.

• 12-08-2011 1:15 PM In reply to

• reixirei
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 6

í've done what you said and it works, it doesn't solve my problem, but i'm gonna use it until i find the way to just import a picture and be able to stretch it just like you can do in previous Quarks.

Thank you for everything, If i find the way to do it, i'll let you know! :)

• 12-09-2011 3:31 AM In reply to

Hola! In the Preferences, you can set the default behaviour for all the documents you'll create from then on. Preferencias > Maquetación par impresión > Herramientas > Contenido de imagen, Modificar, Imagen and tick or untick the chain in there. HTH.

If you're working on "old" documents, those settings won't be taken into account. So the workaround will still help you.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 12-09-2011 4:55 AM In reply to

• reixirei
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-08-2011
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Posts 6

Merci beaucoup!! That totally fixed it!! Oh, I thought i would go crazy looking for this! What a relief! :)

• 12-14-2011 12:39 PM In reply to

Another trick: Just double click on the Picture box > Select on the "Picture content box" click on the Modify button than click on chain to brake.

This you can set at application level and project level.

g.berg
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)