in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Mac 10.7 / Quark 9 Fonts won't load.

Last post 07-20-2012 1:45 PM by eyoungren. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-18-2012 10:34 AM

• Dug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • Posts 4

Mac 10.7 / Quark 9 Fonts won't load.

I can't seem to get Quark 9.3 to recognize loaded fonts (unless Helvetica is loaded in the System/Library/Fonts folder.) I work in Prepress and I am installing some new Macs for production. These are Mac Minis running 10.7.4, 8GB ram, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5. We always strip down the fonts to the essential fonts which are: In the System/Library/Fonts Apple Color Emoji.ttf AppleGothic.ttf AquaKana.ttc Geneva.dfont HelveticaNeueDeskUI.ttc Keyboard.ttf LastResort.ttf LucidaGrande.ttc Menlo.ttc Monaco.dfont We strip all fonts out of Library/Fonts and the ~/User/Library fonts We use FontBook for loading/unloading fonts (on a per job basis.) I can get all other programs that our production machines use to work with this process. That would include email, TextEdit, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, CS4/CS5/CS6 suites, etc. We have used this process with all the Mac systems up until 10.6.x. The problem only occurs with 10.7.x and Quarks 7.5, 8.5 & 9.3. I have tried various procedures which include Safe Mode, cleaning font caches (command line, font nuke, etc.) and nothing seems to resolve this problem. The only way to have Quark recognize the user loaded fonts is the put the Helvetica dfonts back into the System/Library/Fonts folder. The problem with this is that our customers use various Helvetica fonts which usually conflict with the system fonts creating all sorts of issues. I am wondering if anyone on this forum can give me any insight to a possible solution? My preference is not to use other font management software like Suitcase unless I absolutely have to.
  • 07-18-2012 11:06 PM In reply to

Re: Mac 10.7 / Quark 9 Fonts won't load.

Hi Dug,

The problem of Helvetica not showing up in QXP is due to the font conflict occurring b/w the default Helvetica font provided by Mac and the custom Helvetica fonts installed by you. Due to the font conflict, many styles of font are getting suppressed.

In Mac OS 10.7,  System/Library/Fonts folder contains 3 Helvetica fonts by default: Helvetica.dfont, HelveLTMM, Helvetica LT MM

Workaround for the issue:
    •Helvetica fonts
    1. Remove all Helvetica fonts from the font folders
    a) /System/Library/Fonts folder
    b) /Library/Fonts folder
    c) /Users//Library/Fonts folder
    You may not be able to remove Helvetica.dfont from /System/Library/Fonts folder (in case you still want to remove Helvetica.dfont, kindly go through the links regarding protected fonts mentioned at end of my mail. )

2. Flush the font caches, restart the machine.
    To clear the current user’s font cache, first quit all running applications (otherwise, you may see font oddities after using the command), then open Terminal (in Applications -> Utilities) and run this command:
    atsutil databases -removeUser
    atsutil server –shutdown
    atsutil server –ping

3. Invoke Font Book -> Install the Helvetica fonts (which you shared with me) -> In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica fonts, select Ignore conflicts option.

4. Again flush the font caches, restart the machine. In case font conflict pops up for Helvetica font, select Ignore conflicts option.

5. Launch QXP 9.3

You can have a look at below links regarding font management and font issues on Mac
    http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html
    http://www.hcsonline.com/support/white-papers/130-fonts-in-mac-os-x
    http://www.fontgeek.net/blog/?p=253

In case you have any query, kindly revert back.

~Sirish

• 07-19-2012 9:41 AM In reply to

• Dug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi Sirish I have seen this procedure posted by you on a different thread and have followed it with no success. In my System 10.7 there were five Helveticas listed: HelveLTMM Helvetica LT MM Helvetica.dfont HelveticaNeue.dfont HelveticaNeueDeskUI.ttc The only one I have kept is the HeveticaNeueDeskUI.ttc font. I have stripped out every Helvetica from all the Font folders from the /System, the /Library and the /User folders, so I don't believe this is a conflict due to duplication. This problem even occurs when I load our customer fonts folders with no Helvetica fonts in them. I hope this explains my problem a bit better. Doug
  • 07-19-2012 1:21 PM In reply to

Have a look here. Kurt Lang covers fonts really well and he explains how to replace the system fonts (particularly Helvetica) for both Snow Leopard and Lion. The page is updated regularly.

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 07-19-2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• Dug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • Posts 4

Hi eyoungren I have been following Kurt's advice for a long time and have read that article (that you pointed out) before I tried to setup the first Mac OS 10.7 machine. He had many suggestions which I tried but seem to be stumped when it comes to Quark. As an aside, when I type on this forum, I type in paragraph returns but when I hit "Post" my message comes out in one long sentence. What am I doing wrong? Doug
  • 07-19-2012 5:51 PM In reply to

Hi Doug. Sorry I can't be of more use to you on fonts other than linking to that web page. I can help with the posting though.

You aren't doing anything wrong. It's the forum software. It's not Safari friendly. And the reason I know you are using Safari is because it's the only browser anyone uses here that does this. They changed the forums over from phpBB in 2008 and around that time also promised to write in support for Safari. They haven't obviously, as it's four years later and this is still a problem

If Safari is your preferred browser and you just can bear to not use it, there is a work around. Anytime you want a new paragraph enter the html paragraph code <p> and the forum software will recognize your paragraphs.

The only other solution is to use a different browser. I don't know if there is a addon for Safari that will allow you to change Safari's user agent to fool the forum software, but if there is that may be an option too. If there is one (an addon), set the user agent id to show a browser other than Safari.

Again, sorry I can't be of more help.

Hmmm…read through this again (the first time I skimmed it, sorry, should have seen that the link I gave was there earlier).

Let me see if I can find anything for you.

Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
  • 07-20-2012 8:43 AM In reply to

• Dug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • Posts 4

Actually the browser I am using is Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47

Doug

• 07-20-2012 1:45 PM In reply to

Dug:
    Actually the browser I am using is Chrome Version 20.0.1132.47

Doug

Well, then that's a new one on me.

Sent you an email. I don't know if you got it.

erik@quarktronic.com
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)