in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Problems editing clipping paths

Last post 10-01-2004 5:30 AM by John Pittman Hey. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2004 5:30 AM In reply to

I just upgraded to 6.1 Windows.

I have an eps in a picture box, and I'd like to tweak the clipping path.

When I select the picture box, and selection ITEM->Edit, the only item that is NOT grayed out is SHAPE. CLIPPING PATH is grayed out and cannot be checked. Therefore, I cannot gain access to the clipping path to edit it.

What am I doing wrong?
  • 10-01-2004 8:23 AM In reply to

• JPG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-29-2004
    • Posts 47

Hi John

It sounds like you may not have created the clipping path.
    You need the path before you can edit it.
    Go to Item->Modify, click the Clipping Tab.
    Select the appropitae clip from the Type box.
    If there is a clipping path embedded in the art, it should allow you to select it.
    If it has white space around, you can have quark create the path.
    Or, you can select Item to clip the whole item.

Once you click OK, you will see the path getting created, then you can edit it as you described.

Hope that helps
  • 10-01-2004 8:39 AM In reply to

Well, the Clipping dialog box shows a closed green curve around the eps image.

However, I notice that for this EPS in this picture box, I am NOT permitted to create a "non-white" clipping path around the image! The only items that are permitted are ITEM and PICTURE BOUNDS.

So... apparently, some pictures allow creating nice clipping paths, and some do not.

Wonder why that information is not in the help files, and there is no discussion of WHAT TYPE CLIPPING PATHS are permitted with WHAT TYPE PICTURES ...

Anyway, I can get a "non-white" clipping boundary created by going into RUNAROUND and choosing "non-white", and then flipping back over to CLIPPING - but I still cannot edit the newly created clipping path.
  • 10-02-2004 7:42 AM In reply to

• JPG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-29-2004
    • Posts 47

Hi John

I may be wrong, but, you can not edit the clip in the dilog box.
    That simply "creates" the clip. Close (Ok) the dialog box, then select the box with the pict/clip, then Item->Edit->Clipping Path You should see the clip.

NOTE: If the path is embedded, your options will be limited.

for simple paths, erase the background in photoshop, save, get picture, then use the non-white option.
  • 10-02-2004 4:17 PM In reply to

You are correct. The problem is, a clipping path does exist. But it cannot be accessed using the Item->Edit menu. The "clipping path" option is grayed out and cannot be checked.

More generally, the problem seems to be that QUARK won't allow you to create a clipping path for an EPS - at least, not for the EPS that I'm using. It'll allow you to create a RUNAROUND path, and then that gets transferred into the clipping path. Put you cannot EDIT either the runaround or the clipping path - at least not in Quark 6.1.
  • 10-03-2004 8:05 AM

• JPG
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-29-2004
    • Posts 47

Hello Again John

If you want quark to create the clipping path,
    I would suggest using a TIFF instead of an eps.
    If you are forced to use an eps then you will have to create the clip in photoshop ;-(.

Since I usually save the art in a TIFF format, I rarely do clips in Photoshop any more. I will dele the background I dont want, flatten the image then bring it into Quark and let it handle the clip using the non-white option.
    It usually works fine, but occasinally it will create to many points or clip areas I dont want clipped, and then you end up editing the clip anyway.
    If its to much work in Quark then I will go back to Photoshop and embeed the path.

Also I could be wrong about this, but I dont think Quark will do COMPOUND paths. So for example, if you want to clip the inside of a capitol B (art work), you will have to do this in photoshop. This is kinda strange tho because if you create a compund clip in Photoshop, you will be able to edit it in Quark. So I will assume that there is a way to create compund paths from Quark.

Quark should allow you to edit the embedded clip in the eps.
    If Quark creates it, then it is basically the box itself that is the clipping path. So you end up reshaping the box.

I went back and made sure, If you embed the clip in the eps from photoshop, then Get file in quark, then choose embedded path from the Modify->Clipping, then you "should" be able to Item->Edit-> Clipping path.

Hope that helps

JPG
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)