in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Automatic Pagination

Last post 03-24-2006 6:14 PM by tony p. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-24-2006 11:22 AM

Automatic Pagination

Hello,

I'm a newbie to Quark,

I need to know how to tell Quark to paginate each column of my master page. I have a format of 5.125" X 8.25" and two pages per 8X11 print paper. This is the format of the publisher. I'm having a hard time to understand how to indicate to Quark how to automatic paginate each column, which is actually each page.
    |---------------------<10.25>----------------------------->
    |margin|---------------<#>|-|---------------<#>|margins |
    |margin|___________5.125-|_|___________5.125-| margins|
    Col 1 Col2

Thanks,

CL
    IP
  • 03-24-2006 1:05 PM In reply to

Automatic Pagination

You cannot make automatic pagination on columns.
    You must "turn each column into a page." In fact, ticking the appropriate box at creating your doc will result in having two facing pages. Then typing Cmd-3 will make the current folio appearing in place (or straight on the page or better on the master page).
    You can only paginate pages. That's quite normal, isn't it?
    Jean-Marie Schwartz

> Mac Pro Quad Core Intel 2.8 GHz, OS X.8.5, Quark XPress 9.5.4, Adobe CS5 <
  • 03-24-2006 6:14 PM In reply to

• tony p
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-09-2005
    • London UK
    • Posts 243

Automatic Pagination

The page size ( or the size of a spread) can be independent of your chosen output paper size. Why not just set your document to the actual page size, with facing pages selected? Then if you need to output pages as 'working' or visual spreads - as reading proofs or whatever - just print them out as spreads on the appropriate sized paper.

I'm assuming you only need to "number the columns" because your document construction has given you two columns on each Quark document page not that you actually want to number all of the columns - that is, it you had some pages in your book or brochure that had more than one column, they wouldn't each have a number...?)

You'd normally only set up the pages as so-called "printer's spreads" (eg, first and last page together, second and next-to-last page together, and so on) with very short documents and you'd number the pages manually.
    If you set up two actual 'book' pages in sequence on each Quark document page, I don't see how the job is going to get imposed.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)