in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Auxiliary Dictionary is missing

Last post 05-08-2007 10:26 PM by Thomas Allen (Quark). 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-08-2007 2:56 PM

• ddurs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-31-2004
    • Posts 20

I am now getting this alert when I use the dictionary feature: "Can not find the Auxiliary Dictionary"? I have never had a problem in the past.
  • 05-08-2007 8:09 PM In reply to

Hi, ddurs,
    Is it possible that someone else in your workflow uses an auxiliary dictionary?
    You can check a referenced auxiliary dictionary by going to Utilities > Auxiliary Dictionary... There you should see a name and path to the dictionary.
    If the path is accessible to you, such as a fileserver location, mounting that location will maintain the dictionary with the project. Or, if you just want it to go away, close the dictionary from this dialog by clicking the Close button.
    Hope this helps.
    Thomas Allen
    Product Manager, QuarkXPress
    Quark, Inc.
  • 05-08-2007 8:30 PM In reply to

• ddurs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-31-2004
    • Posts 20

Thanks for replying Thomas. I am not on a server -- I am the only mac. I have never had a problem before. I checked Utilities>aux dict and the only dictionary in the folder (Dicet_U.S. Englis) is grayed out. Did Quark lose the link? Thanks.
  • 05-08-2007 8:41 PM In reply to

The dictionary you listed is one of the QuarkXPress application dictionaries, not an auxiliary. Is that the dictionary that is listed in the auxiliary dictionary dialog? Were you able to close the dictionary?
    Was the document solely worked on by you or did someone else work on it? The most obvious reason that you would get this warning is that someone else accessed their own auxiliary dictionary when spellchecking the document. The project would remember the auxiliary.
    Regards,
    Thomas Allen
    Quark, Inc.
  • 05-08-2007 8:45 PM In reply to

• ddurs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-31-2004
    • Posts 20

I am the only one who uses this computer -- so it must have been something I inadvertently did. Which dictionary would you recommend I use? And how do I link to it?
  • 05-08-2007 10:26 PM In reply to

You don't need to use an auxiliary dictionary. I would recommend you select close if you have that option. Your other option would be to create a new one from the same dialog.
    Once you create an auxiliary, you can then store your own spelling exceptions in that dictionary by choosing Add when you check spelling.
    Regards,
    Thomas Allen
    Quark, Inc.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)