in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

Quark to Microsoft Word

Last post 02-01-2008 4:19 PM by katiel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2008 6:23 PM

Quark to Microsoft Word

Is there a way to take a Quark document and put it into Microsoft Word?! I need another editor to make the necessary changes to the already existing Quark document, but she does not have Quark. If there are any ideas, please help!

kt
  • 01-31-2008 6:35 PM In reply to

Quark to Microsoft Word

No. Absolutely no way. Not in the way that you probably want it. I.e, editor makes edits on your XPress document using Word. Nope.

You can save out the contents of a text box to a Word doc, which can then be edited and passed back to you for reimport.

But you can't edit an XPress document with Word. If you could, we would all be using Word as a page layout app and Quark would be out of business.

If you have the means, you might look into QuarkCopy Desk. Copy Desk is a bare-bones version of XPress that allows editors to edit XPress documents. But it's not free.
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 01-31-2008 8:28 PM In reply to

Quark to Microsoft Word

What about the Word 6-2000 Filter Xtensions? What is that exactly?

kt
  • 01-31-2008 9:57 PM In reply to

Quark to Microsoft Word

Those are the XTensions allowing you to import Word documents from Word version 6 to Word version 2000. These XTensions allow you to import those Word documents from those versions and keep the styles (i.e, Bold, Italics, Underlines, the fonts used and font sizes, etc...).

The XTs also allow you to save out a Word document in a version that your end user can understand. For instance, if my Editor needed copy out of a text box with styles preserved, but she was working in Word 6, I'd save out a Word 6 document, not a Word 2000 document.

That's all they do though. Import/Export of text with styles. No images included either way.
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
  • 02-01-2008 10:08 AM In reply to

• thing
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2004
    • Nottingham, UK
    • Posts 1,711

Quark to Microsoft Word

Actually there is a way to get a Quark file in to Word but it's clunky at best and produces very strange results.

Make a PDF of the file, open that in Acrobat (I think you need Pro) and export the file as a Word file.

Like I said the results are a mess but it'll achieve some level of translation.

Back at my last company we had to do this regularly with simple A4 multi-page datasheets for a technology company. They fell to bits when they hit Word, but at least the data they needed was there for them to reformat.

Good luck!

Greg
    I think therefore I am, you're pink therefore you're spam
  • 02-01-2008 3:22 PM In reply to

Quark to Microsoft Word

thing:
    Actually there is a way to get a Quark file in to Word but it's clunky at best and produces very strange results.

Make a PDF of the file, open that in Acrobat (I think you need Pro) and export the file as a Word file.

Like I said the results are a mess but it'll achieve some level of translation.

That's one I would have mentioned, but based on my reading of the original post it sounded to me as if the poster wanted the editor to be able to make changes to the XPress document inside of Word and still essentially keep the document as an XPress document. That isn't possible.

You can indeed get a messy Word doc this way, but it won't be an XPress document and all you could get back OUT of it would be the copy and you would have to reimport the changes - so my though was, what's the point of that. Just save out a Word doc of the text boxes in question, have the editor make the edits and then reimport those.
    erik@quarktronic.com
  • 02-01-2008 3:55 PM In reply to

• thing
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-22-2004
    • Nottingham, UK
    • Posts 1,711

Quark to Microsoft Word

Fair enough Erik - I think you read the post correctly!

:oops:
    I think therefore I am, you're pink therefore you're spam
  • 02-01-2008 4:19 PM In reply to

Quark to Microsoft Word

I have successfully opened the text into Word, however, I have a few chapters that have numerous tables in them and when I convert those, it gives me this error message saying to open the document in word using "open and repair". I cannot seem to find that option in Word. Any ideas?

katie
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)