in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

printing a booklet - need help!

Last post 07-25-2005 4:15 PM by roberthardy. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2005 7:38 PM

I am trying to print a booklet (about 30 pages). I want to set it up so I can print it on landscape letter size paper, fold it in half and saddle stitch staple it. How do I get it to print so it works? I can only get it to print page 1 and 2 on the first page, 3 and 4 on the second and so on. Please help!
  • 06-23-2005 7:38 PM In reply to

I have Quarkxpress 5 by the way....
  • 06-23-2005 8:46 PM In reply to

Are you familiar with impositioning? That's what you need to do, prior to setting up your pages. The best way to explain it online, is to take 5 sheets of paper and fold them together in your booklet form (just as an example). Get a pencil, and mark how the pages will be numbered. Pull your booklet apart and lay the pages vertically as if you are looking at Quark's Page Layout window, beginning with page 1. You will see a pattern.

Page 1 (right) sits next to page 30 (left), page 2 (left)/29 (right), page 3 (right)/28 (left) and so on. Then you have to take into consideration double-sided printing when printing it yourself. It's not something you can just throw together.

There is impostion software but it's costly. Just lay it out, study it, and once you understand it in your head it's fairly easy to create a folded booklet. Also, do not use facing pages when creating your document, since you're folding it in half.

Another thing to be aware of is that you will need to trim the interior pages by a sixteenth of an inch or less per page, depending on the type of paper used - to have all the pages line up with the cover page, especially with 30 pages.

Clear as mud?
  • 06-23-2005 9:07 PM In reply to

• jonesy17
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-11-2004
    • Toronto, ON Canada
    • Posts 907

pmfusion:
    Are you familiar with impositioning? That's what you need to do, prior to setting up your pages. The best way to explain it online, is to take 5 sheets of paper and fold them together in your booklet form (just as an example). Get a pencil, and mark how the pages will be numbered. Pull your booklet apart and lay the pages vertically as if you are looking at Quark's Page Layout window, beginning with page 1. You will see a pattern.

Page 1 (right) sits next to page 30 (left), page 2 (left)/29 (right), page 3 (right)/28 (left) and so on. Then you have to take into consideration double-sided printing when printing it yourself. It's not something you can just throw together.

There is impostion software but it's costly. Just lay it out, study it, and once you understand it in your head it's fairly easy to create a folded booklet. Also, do not use facing pages when creating your document, since you're folding it in half.

Another thing to be aware of is that you will need to trim the interior pages by a sixteenth of an inch or less per page, depending on the type of paper used - to have all the pages line up with the cover page, especially with 30 pages.

Clear as mud?

You can double-check you've built your booklet properly by adding together the page numbers of each spread. Example, page 30 (left) plus page 1 (right) = 31. Page 2 (left) plus page 29 (right) = 31. (Notice the pattern yet?) The page numbers of each printer pair will always add up to the total number of pages plus one, so in the case of a 30 page doc., each printer pair should add up to 31.

Robert
  • 06-23-2005 10:01 PM In reply to

the imposition job has to be done at printer's side. So if you need a presentation copy for your client, beware to save your original as is.
  • 07-25-2005 4:15 PM In reply to

I had this problem earlier on and the way I got round this was to have a template with page numbers and any standard info already in that I use for all my booklets (these tend to be about 20 - 30 A5 pages long).
    I compile the required information for a particular project in another document set up to A5 page size with the relevant information on separate pages. When this is finished and I know what has to go in the finished book I copy and paste each page into the relevant page in the template and then check and print a proof copy.
    This has worked really well and saves a lot of moving info around, also it's not as long a process as it sounds, but if anyone knows a better way without spending loads of money...

Technical Authors are like superheroes... Always out writing wrongs.
    Cheers Bob H
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)