in

Quark Forums

This is a user-to-user forum, where you can meet community experts, exchange ideas
and discuss solutions with other users of QuarkXPress, App Studio and other products.
You'll also find employees of Quark Software Inc. participating in discussions.

If you are looking for official support or need immediate help please go to http://quark.parature.com/

UPDATE: QuarkXPress 7 and CUPS Issue

Last post 02-14-2008 4:43 PM by paulkw. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-25-2007 11:21 PM

I know there have been a number of threads regarding problems when printing from QuarkXPress 7 to a number of different devices. I wanted to start a new thread to let everyone know that we have been taking this issue very seriously internally and have been working to find a resolution. The problem lies in changes required by QuarkXPress to support Universal Binary and those changes were due to Apple deprecating certain API's that QuarkXPress used under PPC. This is not to point blame at Apple but to point out that this was not an arbitrary change.

Once QuarkXPress 7.01 was released, it was discovered that the changes created problems with certain devices. We then contacted device manufactures, such as OKI and Xerox, who have since provided updated drivers that resolve the problem. ftp://ftp2.okidata.com/pub/drivers/Mac/OSXPSUPDTREA.dmg

Another unique situation was identified in that the majority of the devices that were seeing these problems were using EFI drivers that contained the Fiery CUPS Filter. We worked with EFI to identify a quick solution to provide to our mutual customers. The solution was an updated CUPS filter which is available for download at http://www.efi.com/support/download-software.asp EFI has informed us that device manufactures who use their software have been provided the fix.

If you are using a device that relies on the Fiery CUPS Filter, please contact your device manufacturer or download the software from the link above. You can determine if your device uses this filter by looking in the following location: /Library/Printers/YourPrinter/Filters/fierycupsfilter

If you are experiencing difficulty with another device, please add that device to this thread. I will make sure that if there is any additional information available to post it here.
  • 04-25-2007 11:51 PM In reply to

Dave. I don't personally use XPress 7.x, but given the amount of trouble this has caused I would suggest making this message a stickie if you can. Otherwise, it's doing to keep going down and down on the list and then any helpfulness it will bring will evenutally require a search. The forums admins are capable of making a message a stickie (see the General forum). It's just a matter of getting them to do it.
    Erik Youngren | Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
    erik@quarktronic.com
    Quark Forums member since 2001
  • 04-26-2007 12:04 AM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

I abandoned PageMaker that I paid for dearly some years ago because Quark was clearly superior (Quark vs 2?) . I have stuck with Quark only because they are trying, I believe. I am a 2 serial number user in my plastic surgery office just to be able to do work on my office computer, home computer and laptop on OS 10 on Macs. I am the only real user, my wife finds it too complicated.

I have used all the work-arounds for my Xerox printers but it is still not right. How can I help you do better?

With 7.2 I am able to print to my Xerox 3400 but not more than 1 page at a time. For many copies I export to PDF then print but it is a pain. I do believe that if we work together we can figure things out. I do not mind the work, I learn from it but we have to be in communication with the right people to do this. Let the customer who is willing to work help you out..

aehaas

941-492-4775 - days EDT
    Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
    Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
    http://veniceprofessionalservices.com/
  • 04-26-2007 5:28 PM In reply to

• ReneG
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-02-2004
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 337

Here is the link to the Xerox site:

http://tinyurl.com/2aymzn

Scrool down to "Utilities & Applications" and click on: "CUPS filter update for Quark 7"

That update is dated December 2006; WOW! and now it's what: APRIL 2007
    René
  • 04-26-2007 6:21 PM In reply to

aehaas

did you try ReneG's CUPS update?
    Also what is your current OS and hardware?

Rich
  • 04-26-2007 8:45 PM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

I used the CUPS update when it came out and I think it was on 7.02 but I may have to do it again. I can print fine, but only one copy.

OS 10.4.9 on a dual 1.8 G5 desktop and the current 15 " 2.33 MacBook Pro. The problem is on both machines.

I will try the CUPS thing again and let you know.

aehaas
  • 04-27-2007 3:02 PM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

I reapplied the Xerox updates and reselected the printer, NO JOY. I can still print only 1 page at a time.

aehaas
  • 04-27-2007 3:36 PM In reply to

Are you networked or are you printing via USB and sharing the printer?

Rich
  • 04-27-2007 3:42 PM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

I use a small Ethernet hub so that my desktop and portable can use the same printer through the Ethernet connection. I have tried Appletalk and Bonjour connections but again, no joy.

All other programs print fine. And even Quark prints but only one page.

aehaas
  • 04-27-2007 3:49 PM In reply to

• ReneG
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-02-2004
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 337

aehaas:
    I reapplied the Xerox updates and reselected the printer, NO JOY. I can still print only 1 page at a time.

aehaas

Did you delete your Printer from the Printer Setup Utility and then add it again?

If not, you have to do it.
    René
  • 04-27-2007 3:55 PM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

Did you delete your Printer from the Printer Setup Utility and then add it again?

YES

I then restarted the computer to see if this dod anything different.
  • 04-30-2007 11:01 PM In reply to

• ReneG
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-02-2004
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 337

I just updated 2 Macs with the new Xerox CUPS Updater and we can print now with 7.2
    René
  • 04-30-2007 11:50 PM In reply to

• aehaas
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2006
    • Osprey, Florida
    • Posts 18

Again, I can print fine, but only 1 copy. If I set 2 copies to print then the printer makes a noise for a few seconds as if to print, then it quiets down and nothing comes out. It is the same behavior as when trying to print with the 7.0 versions of Quark.

aehaas
  • 05-01-2007 12:06 AM In reply to

• ReneG
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-02-2004
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 337

I can print, but i can't make pdf anymore in 7.2.

Went back to 7.0 and I can make pdf.

I guess tomorrow I'll call Quark Customer Service.

They've now made it a long distance from Canada :(

Huh.
    René
  • 08-03-2007 9:30 PM In reply to

• Tomnibus
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-03-2007
    • Columbus, Ohio
    • Posts 5

This forum was down for the time I needed support so I called in. The wonderful woman who helped me was very patient. We tried everything.

I would like to add to this list the Dell 5100cn and 5110cn printers. My understanding that these are Xerox Phasers "under the hood" but I don't know what kind.

We couldn't print at all from Q7.3, the tech rep told me to set the PPD in Printer Setup Utility to "Generic" and now I can print. I don't know how this affects my other applications but Q7 is printing.

I did download the latest drivers from Dell but they were still years old. In fact, we had the latest. I don't know if just downloading some Xerox drivers would help. I don't know what these printers are as xerox printers.

Also, I checked the Fiery CUPS thing mentioned above and that doesn't exist in the printer folder so not sure about that one.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >