In App - PDF Mark-Up Tool

Discuss all aspects of the HTML5-based AppStudio: From content design and enrichment in InDesign CS5.x, CS6 & CC and/or QuarkXPress 9.5, 10, 2015 & 2016 to creating your app, submitting it and publishing it to Android tablet, Android phone, iPad, iPhone and Web Apps. Free Trial can be found here: http://AppStudio.net

Postby shaun_drage » 04 Dec 2012, 04:27

We currently provide a solution to a client wherebywe keep PDF documentation on a web service and upon press of a button it is served into the app. This also alows us to keep this documentation up-to-date by simply updating the source documentation and overwriting the PDF that sits on the web service. My question is - is it possible for my client to Mark Up, add notes and save these files in App - or does anyone know of a web based PDF mark up solution where we can pre upload the documents and then link off to them with individual URL's allowing this process to happen?
shaun_drage

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Dec 2012, 22:47

Hi Shaun,
workign with native PDF on an iPad is pretty cumbersome, PDF is not a first class citizen on tablets. Not even Adobe's own PDF App works as seamless as you know it from Desktops and an app woudl integrate with the device's own PDF technology, which is even less capable. And you can see that on slower devices, PDF is very CPU intensive.
So what I'd recommend is that you try integrating the web service that you currently use (assuming it doesn't use native PDFs in the browser but buts some kind of JPG or PNG proxy in front of users and passes that onto the PDF stored on a server). You can do so by integrating a web view in the app content.
Whether that works seamlessly is the interesting question. Please let me know, as I am curious about it.
Thanks
Matthias
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to App Studio – Design and Publish Native Apps using HTML5