Photos with captions in reflow epub

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Photos with captions in reflow epub

Postby CType » 27 Jul 2017, 13:57

I am working on a multi-chapter previously printed book with many photos and captions. My first export caught all the photos, but the captions were placed above the images, or not associated with the correct images at all. When I used the callout anchor for the pictures, sometimes the captions came with the pictures and sometimes not, sometimes above the images and sometimes not.

I am on my 14th test-export and I have managed to get the captions below the pictures by resorting the reflow tagging. But the pictures are centered, and the captions are left justified, and not placed in the text, just at the end of each chapter. Plus, there is a big gap between the pic and the caption which makes the connection between the two sort of vague. I have used the callout anchor to place the pics in the text and the first time it worked great. But I had to delete the anchors and disassociate the pictures so that I could place the pics at a different point in the text. Now I cannot reconnect the previously used photos to a new anchor.

Also, My reflow tagging has all the chapter text in one article and I am not sure how to break it up to reposition the photo/caption components within the text if I cannot get the anchors to work. I am using QuarkXpress 2016 on OSX 10.11.6. My questions are:

1. How do I clear the anchor/picture link so I can re-link the photo elsewhere, or manually separate the text in an article into smaller packets so I can place the pics better?
2. How do I set the gap between photo and caption?
3. Is there anyway to force the photo and caption to stay together so that the caption does not appear on the next page? I would rather the photo be bumped to the next page to stay with the caption. It is better to have a gap between the text and the photo than the photo and the caption.
CType

Re: Photos with captions in reflow epub

Postby srmareedu » 28 Jul 2017, 00:16

Hi,
1. you can clear call out link from Call out menu..
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 10.27.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 10.27.57 AM.png (201.04 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

2. You can group the Picture Box and caption box and anchor it in text flow. so that you can specify the required gap between image and caption

3. if your problem still persists, please send your project CFO to srmareedu@quark.com, we will check and let you know some workaround.

Thanks
Srinivas
srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby CType » 31 Jul 2017, 11:42

I tried the fix you suggested, grouping the picture and caption. That worked one-third of the time. And the one that did work for still has a huge space between the picture and the caption. I am not sure how "you can specify the required gap between image and caption" can be done.

I will be sending you a sample chapter. Thanks!
CType

Postby srmareedu » 01 Aug 2017, 23:16

Hi,
I did not get any mail from you, did you send it?
Thanks
Srinivas
srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby CType » 02 Aug 2017, 08:10

Yes, I did. I will send again. Thanks for checking back!
CType

Postby srmareedu » 09 Aug 2017, 00:15

Hi Cynthia,
We understood your use case completely but unfortunately we cannot achieve this by using call outs. Using simple Anchors can fulfil your requirement up to some extent.
I am sending sample ePub after changing callouts to simple anchors in your project
Please refer whether it can be useful to you..
However we have reported an enhancement to define space between image and caption boxes.
Thanks,
Srinivas
srmareedu
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby CType » 10 Aug 2017, 12:49

Thanks Srinivas -

This seems to be working okay. Adjusting the caption boxes helped a lot with the spacing problems, too. Callout anchors are easier, but plain anchors are working.

Thanks again!
CType

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks