Can I enter metadata AFTER an epub book is finished?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Can I enter metadata AFTER an epub book is finished?

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 04 Jun 2015, 12:53

I know I can do this with a program like calibre, but I was wondering if it can be done in QXP 2015.
G.E.R.R.Y.

Re: Can I enter metadata AFTER an epub book is finished?

Postby QuarkXPressUser » 13 Sep 2015, 08:43

No, you cannot. As you already know, an ePub editor such as Calibre or Sigil is required to modify ePub.
QuarkXPressUser

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 13 Sep 2015, 09:20

Thank you. I've had no contact with Sigil yet. I'll have to check it out. Do you have any preference between them?
G.E.R.R.Y.

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Sep 2015, 10:29

Sigil still works, but it is a dead project--at least the last time I looked it wasn't in active development.

ePubs are just ZIP files. The contents can be extracted using any application able to unZIP. Depending upon the application used, you may need to change the file extension to .zip

The file structure is very important. ReZIP and change the extension back if need be once finished editing and maintain the exact file structure.

Other than image resources, the files are XHTML and can be edited using a plain text editor. Calibre facilitates keeping the correct structure and of course allows fairly trouble free editing of the metadata and other resources, but it really is opening the ZIP file and displaying the contents for editing in a WYSIWYG manner.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 13 Sep 2015, 12:05

The previous poster mentioned having to use Calibre or Sigil for modifying ePub. Does that mean for metadata or for the whole file? If I "mess up" and need to make significant changes, can I not open up the file and do them in QXP or would I have to open the original print file, make the changes, and export it again to ePub? Sorry for sounding like a complete newbie.

signed,
a complete newbie :oops:
G.E.R.R.Y.

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Sep 2015, 12:51

Absolutely no worries! Both applications open the whole enchilada. So mistakes can be made, but as long as you stick to what you want to edit, you should be fine. Make a copy of your ePub and practice on it. Personally if I had the source and there was absolutely no customization done in an ePub editor (heck, even an HTML editor can be used if it is unzipped), then I would update the source itself. That said, I almost always edit the resultant ePub in an editor.

The screen shots are with using Sigil. There are two ways to edit the metadata.

First screen shot is using the dialog and is pretty straight forward.

capture-003569.png
capture-003569.png (14.91 KiB) Viewed 5746 times

Second screen shot is simply opening up the file in the ePub that has the metadata written to it.

capture-003570.png
capture-003570.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 5746 times

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 14 Sep 2015, 02:38

Hi Gerry,

just see an epub workflow like a PDF workflow:
In PDFs you can correct mistakes using Acrobat for example, but then there's no way back to the layout program. Same for epubs (which are basically HTML files zipped in a folder with a bit of XML), you can edit them using Calibre or Sigil, but then there's no way back to the layout app. Of course you can make the changes in QuarkXPress in both, the PDF and epub workflow, and then just reexport.

Makes sense?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 14 Sep 2015, 11:24

Thanks, Matthias. Given the number of corrections I will need to make, I think I had best stick with reexporting. :lol:
G.E.R.R.Y.

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks