Creating tables in an eBook?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Creating tables in an eBook?

Postby sean_nwfs » 30 Jun 2015, 13:14

Hi, there.

We are trying to put a training manual together and I am scratching my head trying to figure out the best way to display a table (not to be confused with a table of contents). Is there some magical function that allows me to put a table in my reflow and have it be somehow functional? I have several tables that vary in number of columns and rows and if I add them to reflow they simply stack all the cells on top of each other like a giant single column which doesn't work. At this point I am taking screenshots and placing them as images but for the larger tables this makes them difficult to read.

Any tips or tricks?
sean_nwfs

Re: Creating tables in an eBook?

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 01 Jul 2015, 00:05

Sean,

I am assuming you are using QuarkXPress 2015.

Table cells are treated as text boxes when you tag them to Reflow. Screen Shots are a good workaround. However, you may want to use "Export as Image" from QuarkXPress for better control on images created from QuarkXPress.

You may also want to try "Inline Tables" made available in QuarkXPress 2015. They will be retained as HTML tables in ePub.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks