Anchors in reflow not working 10.5.2

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Anchors in reflow not working 10.5.2

Postby sean_nwfs » 15 Jul 2015, 17:49

We have created an epub using the reflow view from our print document and over the past couple of years tried to come back to it and get it working with anchors so it is nicely indexed and each time we try and get the anchors working from within the reflow view it becomes a huge headache and we quit. Currently I can only occasionally get anchors to work and it seems like once I hit a certain number of anchors the whole thing falls apart with anchors disappearing, text being deleted and being unable to recreate anchors because the anchor "already exists" or being unable to remove them from the text when they have gone missing. I am getting ready to throw this program out the window and find something that works better.

Do anchors work in reflow view using Quark 10.5.2? I have wasted many hours creating and recreating anchors in reflow view and I am no farther along then when I started.
sean_nwfs

Re: Anchors in reflow not working 10.5.2

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 16 Jul 2015, 01:29

Anchors work in QuarkXPress 10.5. Could you please share the document with the details of issues faces by you. You may send me a Private Message.

We need the QuarkXPress file along with the images, fonts and other assets used in the document. Please use "Collect for Output" in the file menu and send us all the files. You may follow these steps to send us the files:
1. Create a new folder named "CFO".
2. Open the document.
3. File -> Collect for Output.
4. Check all the options : Layout, Linked Pictures, Color Profiles and Fonts.
5. Choose the folder created in Step 1. Click OK.
6. Compress this folder as a .zip file.
7. Please send us the zip file. If it is too large to be mailed, please upload to a file sharing service like dropbox, and send us the link.
Let me know if you have questions or need help with this process.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby sean_nwfs » 20 Jul 2015, 14:25

Sarbjit,
I sent you a PM.

Thanks for you assistance.
sean_nwfs

Postby sean_nwfs » 06 Aug 2015, 14:31

Sarbjit,
Were you able to take a look at what the problem is with anchors? I am nearing the point where we are going to have to abandon Quark at this point which I don't want to do but I am under a lot of pressure to get this ebook out. It isn't fit to publish until we get the anchor text working.
sean_nwfs

Postby Ramesh Yella » 06 Aug 2015, 16:26

Have you tried creating Reflow ePub in QuarkXPress 2015? We have made number of improvements and fixes in QuarkXPress 2015. You can give it a try with a trial version if you have not upgraded to this version yet.
Please feel free to reach out me for any assistance. My email id is ryella@quark.com

Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 07 Aug 2015, 08:21

Sean,

First, I am really sorry for the delay in response. I was on a long leave and could not catch up all the e-mails in time.

I checked the file that you shared. The Hyperlinks and Anchors seem to work fine at my end. Could you please tell me some steps that you did, which cause the issues mentioned by you. Are these random issues?

Also, as suggested by Ramesh, you may try exporting ePub from QuarkXPress 2015 Test Drive and compare the results.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby sean_nwfs » 11 Dec 2015, 18:55

So after it was concluded that I needed to buy Quark 2015 in order to get anchors and hyperlinks to work properly I plunked down the money and am trying it out. My first question is: How do I even get to the reflow view? I don't see it anywhere. It isn't in the spot where it used to be and I do see a new tab with an ebook prefix but this is for a fixed view which I don't want.

How does one get to the reflow view in Quark 2015 so I can get my document in a place where we can publish it?
sean_nwfs

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 14 Dec 2015, 00:25

Hello Sean,

QuarkXPress 2015 has integrated the authoring for Fixed and Reflow ePub. You can edit your content in the Fixed Layout as you would for any document. You can see all the components and their order in the "Reflow Tagging Palette". You will see that "File -> Export -> Layout as ePub" offers two options now "Fixed" and "Reflow". Have you tried exporting Reflow ePub this way?
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby sean_nwfs » 14 Dec 2015, 18:38

So if I have my document fully prepared in the traditional Quark layout, how can I move it into the integrated view so I can modify it the way I want? I don't see a way to transfer the information. I see how to move it to reflow tagging palette but this doesn't offer any editing. Some video tutorials on how to create an epub using an existing document with this new system would be appreciated.

I had a perfectly functional epub document with 10.5 that I just needed to fix the anchor tags. With 2015 I don't have anything at this point. I certainly don't want to recreate all those many hours of work to get back to what was already done.
sean_nwfs

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks