Endnotes: not at end in reflow ePub; auto linking?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Endnotes: not at end in reflow ePub; auto linking?

Postby Z_c(3900) » 26 Jul 2015, 13:47

When I add a reference to an endnote in a layout on, say, page 1, the endnote appears at the end of the story (e.g., p. 5) as expected. However, when converting to a reflowable ePub, the endnote shows up at the end of the text which had been on page 1 in the layout, instead of where I expected it to be (and where it should be), at the end of the text in that story. What's going on?

Also, the references and endnotes are not hyperlinked; how do I make that work?

Thanks.
Z_c(3900)

Re: Endnotes: not at end in reflow ePub; auto linking?

Postby Ramesh Yella » 03 Aug 2015, 11:19

Hello Z_c,

I could not reproduce the endnote issue referred by you. I am able to see end note at the end of the story as appeared in the layout. Can you please share your project to verify further? please email the same at ryella@quark.com.

Also, the references (endnote markers) and endnote (number) are hyperlinked in ePub output. We do not style the hyperlink so you have a choice to style it the way you want. Have you updated to July 2015 Update? the hyperlinks were fixed in this update.

Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Z_c(3900) » 03 Aug 2015, 13:22

Thank you for responding. I have automatic updates set up in preferences, and I just checked manually. I bought 2015 just a few weeks ago and have version 11.0.

In any case, I tried inserting an endnote again, and this time it appeared at the end of the ePub. This was doable on versions of my document from 7/31 onward; perhaps there was an update on the 31st...

However, the endnotes are still not hyperlinked in the epub to the numbering. I will send you the document.

Thanks very much for your help.
Z_c(3900)

Postby Z_c(3900) » 03 Aug 2015, 17:15

(This is a copy of the email I sent you, in case anyone else is reading this thread.)

(After upgrading to 11.0.1, which I didn't know about till you told me, due to Yosemite issue.)

1) I just exported a doc with endnotes, and the hyperlinks worked! Thank you.

2) I noticed the rule above the endnotes in the layout version is not in the ePub version. Is this to be expected?

3) To create separate articles for reflow, so that a new section starts on a new page, do I have create a new story for each section (i.e., text unlike to the previous section)? If I do that, is there a way to make endnotes at the end of the entire book, or do I have to have them at the end of each chapter/story?

Thank you for your help.
Z_c(3900)

Postby Ramesh Yella » 05 Aug 2015, 03:28

2) I noticed the rule above the endnotes in the layout version is not in the ePub version. Is this to be expected?

This is a defect with Reflow ePub export, we are looking into this to fix in upcoming updates. As a workaround you can anchor a rule above Endnotes.
3) To create separate articles for reflow, so that a new section starts on a new page, do I have create a new story for each section (i.e., text unlike to the previous section)?

yes, you have to create new story for each section to start the same on a new page in reflow ePub.
If I do that, is there a way to make endnotes at the end of the entire book, or do I have to have them at the end of each chapter/story?

Currently endnotes would appear at the end of each story, there is no option to move all endnotes of multiple articles to end of the book. We have this feature on roadmap and will address in upcoming releases.

Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks