Audio callout anchors: space underneath?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Audio callout anchors: space underneath?

Postby Z_c(3900) » 28 Jul 2015, 16:56

Hi,

When I anchor an audio file to a picture box (per the webinar), the audio controls in the reflowable EPUB have a lot of unasked for space underneath. Styling the callout does not appear to change this. In fact, the callout styling only appears to be effective on the layout, and seems to have no impact on the EPUB reflow in a reader.

1) Am I doing something wrong or missing a key concept?
2) Is it possible to style the audio control callout so that it doesn't have space underneath it *in the EPUB* (right now, ~144 px)?
3) Do the callout styles have any effect on the callout *in the EPUB*?

I have a book with several hundred musical notation diagrams and small audio files associated with them. I need something that can consistently work with the styles I've already set up.

Thanks for any help.
Z_c(3900)

Re: Audio callout anchors: space underneath?

Postby Ramesh Yella » 03 Aug 2015, 11:42

hello,

1. In Reflow ePubs scenario, use callout anchors to insert a picture (or Video and Audio) between the text flow without breaking the Story (text boxes). When you insert callout anchor it assumes that you are requesting for paragraph break and insert a picture component after callout insertion point. if you do not want to break the text flow, use standard Anchoring. For this, you need to copy picture box with item tool and select content tool and paste within the text flow.
2. as suggested above please use standard anchoring so that you do not see extra space. We will investigate space below used for callout anchors as it should use paragraph spacing from paragraph where the callout position is inserted.
3. no, callout styles have no effect on reflow ePub output.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Z_c(3900) » 03 Aug 2015, 12:28

Thank you for responding. When I use the standard anchoring, the audio controls do not show up in the ePub. In the webinar, the instructions were to use a callout anchor to have audio, and if I do that, then there's the current problem of the space underneath (plus see my other post about trying to keep title, audio control, and notated example together).
Z_c(3900)

Postby Z_c(3900) » 03 Aug 2015, 17:23

OK, thanks to Ramesh for letting me know about the 11.0.1 upgrade (I'm running Yosemite 10.10.4, and there's a problem with the "automatic" updater. I upgraded to the new version after corresponding.)

This problem now appears to be solved. What formerly didn't work now does: put the audio controls in a separate picture box, then put that box inline. The audio controls show up in the EPUB *without* the need for a callout anchor and *without* all the extra space underneath.

Now, I just need to find a way to keep the Example text, the now-inline audio controls, and the inline notating image together without having to do post-publiciation style sheet changes...

Thank you, Ramesh and the upgrade team.
Z_c(3900)

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks