Keeping text and audio controls together with an image

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

Keeping text and audio controls together with an image

Postby Z_c(3900) » 29 Jul 2015, 21:37

So, here's the scenario: I have a music book with notated examples and mp3's. The format is this:

Example 123 [styled text] ¶
[Inline png] Image 123 (notation) with callout anchor attached -> Audio file 123 ¶

The output is:

Example 123
Audio control (The audio control has too much space under it from somewhere (it's not a styling issue), but that's another topic I've posted.)

What happens when pages of these get published is that either the Example text or the audio controls can get separated from the image. What I want is for them to stay together. I had thought that by anchoring the audio file, it would stay with the image (that's what the user manual says, anyway). I could also then link the Example text by putting it into a picture box, but, this isn't working even for the audio controls, so I'll wait on that.

I know that it is possible to keep these 3 pieces as a unit if you go in and mess with the css sheets, using a page-break-inside:avoid style but, wow, I really don't want to do that. (I have a programmer friend who took this book, originally a Word document, converted it to an ePub through some online conversion service, and then went in with some regex and added that style to the css sheets for every example. On his version of this same book, the Example text, image, and audio control remain a unit, and are forced onto a new, separate page if they don't fit. That's what I want via Quark.)

Questions:

1) Isn't the callout anchor supposed to keep the audio control linked to the image visually, as well as musically? (In other words, aren't they supposed to be a unit?)
2) Is it possible to keep these 3 separate pieces (Example text, image, and audio file/control) together as a unit (as described above) via Quark and NOT have to go into the style sheets of the EPUB? How can I make this happen, then?

Thanks for answering these.
Z_c(3900)

Re: Keeping text and audio controls together with an image

Postby Ramesh Yella » 03 Aug 2015, 05:59

Hello,

To keep image and audio controls together in text flow, please use Anchoring picture box instead of using Callout Anchor. To Anchor picture in a text flow, you have to copy picture box with Item tool and select a position in the text flow with Content tool and Paste it. For adding audio controls next to picture, please anchor another empty picture box and apply audio interactivity from HTML palette. This should give you desired ePub Reflow output you are look for.

There seem to be issue in retaining picture content and audio controls when interactivity is applied to the same picture box, we will investigate this further. Meanwhile above steps should help you get the desired output.

Please feel free to drop me an email at ryella@quark.com if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Z_c(3900) » 03 Aug 2015, 17:12

(This is a copy of what I sent you in email, incase anyone else is reading this thread.)

I’ve been using the regular text anchor all along for the images. And I have “Keep together with next paragraph” for the style for the Example text (e.g., Example 12 [followed by the image inline]. This works in the layout version, but does *not* work in the reflowable EPUB; the only way I’ve found to make it work in the EPUB is to go in and use CSS styles for page-break-inside:avoid (see my post). And that is a ton of work!

Good news: since the upgrade to 11.0.1, the audio controls finally show up in the EPUB if you put them in a separate picture box and then try to put that box inline. I had tried this earlier, before hearing from you, and they weren’t showing up and there was lot of space underneath them. The space seems to have gone, which is great1

So, this is what’s left: how to keep the 3 things (Example text, audio controls, and inline notation image) together as a unit *in the EPUB* (even if I have to start a new page with them).

Thank you for your help.
Z_c(3900)

Postby Ramesh Yella » 04 Aug 2015, 03:11

So, this is what’s left: how to keep the 3 things (Example text, audio controls, and inline notation image) together as a unit *in the EPUB* (even if I have to start a new page with them).

Have you tried following? I was able to test three together as below and they stay together on iBooks page even if increase the font size.
in QuarkXPress:
epub1.png
epub1.png (25.45 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

ePub output viewed in iBook: (default font size)
epub2.png
epub2.png (22.4 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

increased font size in iBooks:
epub3.png
epub3.png (29.78 KiB) Viewed 5865 times

Thanks,
Ramesh
Buy at your favorite dealer – Or call us: http://goo.gl/olNirw – Or buy here: http://goo.gl/y8PbKO
Ramesh Yella
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Z_c(3900) » 07 Aug 2015, 11:02

Hey, Ramesh,

Thanks for working on this and coming up with this idea. It seems to be a partial workaround. In iBooks, things are much better (although it's not 100% consistent). In calibre, there's a problem that occurs at seemingly random places, where it "Squeezes" the image into the same line (see attachment: I loaded Example 15 and 16 the same way).

2015-08-07 - calibre problem.png
2015-08-07 - calibre problem.png (100.76 KiB) Viewed 5806 times

So, there's lack of consistency across readers. This reminds me of the browser differences 10 years ago!

Anyway, I will keep working on this and report back. Thank you for your time and work.

david
Z_c(3900)

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks