How do I prevent a page from falling apart?

Ask questions about creating eBooks in ePub2, ePub3 and Kindle format using QuarkXPress 9, 10, 2015 & 2016 and how to submit your eBook to popular online stores. You can choose to create eBooks in reflowable layout or fixed layout.

How do I prevent a page from falling apart?

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 01 Apr 2016, 13:12

When I go from my print version to an epub version, the page I designed seems to "fall apart" even though everything was grouped. The words somehow have left the speech bubble which has also moved. The text box and the bubble were grouped and then grouped with the main image.

print.png
print.png (45.45 KiB) Viewed 3584 times

epub.png
epub.png (46.62 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
G.E.R.R.Y.

Re: How do I prevent a page from falling apart?

Postby MikeWenzloff » 01 Apr 2016, 13:56

That image, speech bubble and text need to become a single image. ePub has no concept of what are still floating elements in an ePub. Grouping as you see doesn't achieve the desired result of the whole becoming an image.
MikeWenzloff

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 01 Apr 2016, 14:43

Are you saying that I should simply replace all of it with a single screenshot? If so, which are best for epub, jpg, tif, or png?
G.E.R.R.Y.

Postby MikeWenzloff » 01 Apr 2016, 15:11

Well, yes for that and other images that you are creating the same type of thing where you have elements grouped with an image.

But I wouldn't use a screen shot per se other than for proof of concept. As to type of image, I generally use jpg files bUT hwvery usedan png fIles depending upon the content. I would composite something like your example in a vector editing application and export it as an image to keep the text crisp unless one has either Photoshop or another good image editor.
MikeWenzloff

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 01 Apr 2016, 15:55

I do have Photoshop, but, just out of curiosity, what vector editing application or image editor would you use?
G.E.R.R.Y.

Postby MikeWenzloff » 01 Apr 2016, 17:32

Any decent vector application that runs on your OS. On a Mac, I would use Affinity Designer. On Windows anything from the free Inkscape to Illustrator, Xara Designer Pro,or CorelDraw (I use all of the last three nearly every day). Serif, who makes the Affinity products, is in the process of finishing the first of three Affinity applications. But it will be a while.

However, Photoshop has good ability to do what I see above. And you have it.
MikeWenzloff

Postby G.E.R.R.Y. » 01 Apr 2016, 18:31

Thanks for all your help, Mike. By the way, I am on a Mac, but I've never even heard of Affinity Designer. :lol:
G.E.R.R.Y.

Postby MikeWenzloff » 01 Apr 2016, 19:21

Serif has made Windows software (including a page layout application) since 1991. 5 years ago they began writing Affinity Designer from the ground up, first for Mac (they already had Windows software) and then the idea was to stop their current Windows offerings and move the Mac applications to Windows. It was an extremely bold move that has paid off. I think it was about a year, maybe a year and a half, ago the first Mac applications were released.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Windows versions. The speed is incredible as is how far in one can zoom in for detail at that speed.

Best regards, Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to eBook Publishing – fixed layout and reflowable layout eBooks