1 image need to split into 300 tiles

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Postby UtahLlama » 04 Jun 2014, 13:19

So I have one image, I need to split this into 20x15 individual tiles (A3 pages) then produce a 600 page pdf every odd page being one of the tiles every even page being a number. The end result is similar to the stadium displays where each person holds up their tile and the image is reformed.Has anyone any ideas how to automate this process?
UtahLlama

Postby mac_nick » 05 Jun 2014, 08:52

Splitting the image would be the complex part. I made some Photoshop scripts for cropping but no way to move the selection in increments. Maybe I would copy the tiles manually into new files. Importing into Quark could be automated. Use Image Grid. Create a layout with one image each page. Badia Contact page has some more adjustment options. For creating the numbers I would layout pages with huge automatic page numbers. Finally you must merge the Layouts. Maybe Cloner is helpful. Only some Ideas from me.
mac_nick

Postby UtahLlama » 05 Jun 2014, 22:08

I've been playing with Illustrator, and can Print to postscript, then Distill. The Print menu allows me to Tile to exact size pieces as pdf pages but I'm not sure how to generate crop marks or bleed, turning crop marks on only gives me crop marks at the 4 corner Tiles and offsets all the Tiles by the amount the crops take up. Maybe I can use Pitstop to generate marks and bleeds on the pdfs. Will also look into trying the print menu to tile from Quark.
UtahLlama

Postby mac_nick » 06 Jun 2014, 10:24

JoCrop is a PlugIn for Adobe Acrobat Pro 9/X/XI. After installing the plugin you can crop a document to its trimbox. Maybe this helps to get rid of the offset. http://www.jolauterbach.com
mac_nick

Postby MikeWenzloff » 07 Jun 2014, 18:16

You may need to first crop into 2, 4, or so parts. I don't know what your image's size is. Limit at the following url is 20 megs. I also don't know of the quality. First hit in a Google search.

http://imagesplitter.net

Just found another...
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php
MikeWenzloff

Postby mac_nick » 07 Jun 2014, 21:20

mac_nick

Postby mac_nick » 07 Jun 2014, 21:49

One more:1. Open your file in photoshop2. Select the Slice Selection Tool (not the Slice Tool).3. Click on the Canvas. In the upper Icon row the Tile Button becomes active. Click on it. A dialogue appears. Fill in what ever you want for horizontal and vertical tiling.4. Select File > Safe for Web In the right part of the dialogue select file format and compression. Unfortunately there is a limited amount of selectable file formats. I guess JPEG 100% matches your needs.5. Click on Save. In the lower area of the dialogue you can get rid of the HTML code by by selecting Pictures > Pictures only 6. Finally you receive a folder with all numbered tiles. I don't know if there is a file size limit for this process but I could tile a 5 x 5 meters, 13 GB big file wit no problems.Hope this helps.
mac_nick

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General