How to Delete QuarkXPress Preferences (Mac/Win)

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 26 May 2014, 18:56

This post provides the details on how to trash existing QuarkXPress Preferences that might have gone corrupt. Bad Preferences can cause random issues. We suggest renaming the existing folder if you want to keep a backup of your existing program settings, just in case!!

Mac OS X:

1. Quit QuarkXPress, if running.

2. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Applications/QuarkXPress (x). Delete the Preferences folder, if any.
[Do not create the Preferences folder again]

3. In Finder click Go -> Library. If you do not see a "Library" menu, hold down the option key on the keyboard. In Library go to Preferences, then Quark. Rename (or Delete) the folder named QuarkXPress (x).

4. Re-launch QuarkXPress.

(x) stands for your version number of QuarkXPress.

Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1:

2. Open C:/Program Files/Quark/QuarkXPress (x). Rename (or Delete) the Preferences folder, if any. [Do not create the Preferences folder again]

3. Start > Run > Type %localappdata% > Hit Enter.

4. Go to Quark folder. Rename (or Delete) folder named QuarkXPress (x).

5. Re-launch QuarkXPress.

Windows XP:

2. Open C:/Program Files/Quark/QuarkXPress (x). Rename (or Delete) the Preferences folder, if any. [Do not create the Preferences folder again]

3. Start > Run > Type %appdata% > Hit Enter.

4. Go to Quark folder. Rename (or Delete) folder named QuarkXPress (x).

5. Re-launch QuarkXPress.

Note: On Windows 64-bit version QuarkXPress is installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

Last edited by Sarbjit Singh on 26 Aug 2014, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby eyoungren » 28 May 2014, 04:24

Good idea on making this a sticky Sarbjit! Now I can simply point people here instead of writing out a long list of instructions.
I just might mention that on older versions of OS X (before Mavericks and Mountain Lion) it's not necessary to hold down OPTN and then Go -> Library.
Also, renaming or removing the entire Quark folder in Preferences might be a bit drastic if you have more than one version of XPress installed. I would suggest either deleting or renaming the folder inside that Quark folder that pertains to the version number with the problem.
Even better, find the XPress Preferences.prf file inside and remove that.
eyoungren

Postby Sarbjit Singh » 28 May 2014, 19:16

Thank you for your input Erik.I wanted to keep it simple, and hence did not mention anything about older Mac OS versions. It works without the option key on Mac OS I did mention the version number to be deleted. However I formatted them as HTML tags and were lost. You are right, we should only delete the Preferences folders for the version affected.Sometimes, just renaming / deleting the the XPressPreferences file may not help. In that case you may delete all the Preferences.
Sarbjit Singh
Quarkian
Quarkian

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General