QXP won't relaunch after crash

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

QXP won't relaunch after crash

Postby tonyburden » 09 Feb 2016, 00:44

First crash using QXP 10 on my new iMac running OS 10.10.5. First thing I would try is deleting preferences—but (I'm embarrassed to say) I don't even know where preferences are in this new set-up. I can't find a preferences folder. When I search for .prf files a whole bunch of ’em come up: Color Management.prf, CompositionZone.prf, Dejavu.prf—alphabetically all the way through—XPress Preferences.prf. Should I delete all of them? Or just the one named XPress Preferences? And why aren't they in a folder I can find? I feel like I'm missing something here. Help! Thanks.
tonyburden

Re: QXP won't relaunch after crash

Postby eyoungren » 09 Feb 2016, 11:10

You want XPress Preferences.prf

As to not being able to find the folder…well you see right around OS X 10.7 Apple decided to hide the User Library folder. And that's where application preferences are stored.

Here is the path: Macintosh HD>Users>~username>Library>Preferences>Quark>Quark 10.0>XPress Preferences.prf

There are a couple of ways to get there.

You can hold down OPTN when clicking on the Go Menu in Finder. You'll see your User Library folder pop into the list, or you can open a new window and then using the Go Menu (or the shortcut) go to folder and then enter the path I mention above.

Hope that helps.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby navair » 09 Dec 2017, 22:59

I have Quark 9.3.1 and Mac 10.7.5 today when I try to open Quark or any Quark file I get the "cannot access Xpress preference file (12) as talked about here. I can follow the steps you outline here, but when I get to the end, there is no Xpress preferences.prf. In fact, if I search for .prf I find no .prf hits in my computer.

It sounds like this file is my problem based on this post and another on the forum, if not it sounds like I have to buy a new computer, new Quark, new scanner, new photoshop etc. And then is any newer version going to open my manuscripts that are now in Quark 9? I went from Quark 4 to 9 and 9 will read/open all the 4 files, will 2015/2016/2017 open 9. I'm 150-pages (still a 100 to go) into a new book with about 250 images and would hate to have to recreate the wheel or lose the 2-months it would take to do that, especially when I have authors and 2-printers that want me to switch to In-Design. I would rather keep Quark.
navair

Postby MikeWenzloff » 10 Dec 2017, 10:35

First thing to try is updating Q. The current version 9 is 9.5.4.1
It is down this page a little ways:

http://quark.com/Support/Downloads/Sear ... d=2&ftid=2

If that doesn't fix your issue, you may need to turn on seeing hidden files/folders. How that is done on a Mac I dunno--I use Windows. But a search should show how. One can also circumvent not being able to find the preferences folder by creating a preferences folder in the Application folder by simply creating a Preferences folder there (the spelling is important). Q will then create a new set of preferences in that folder.

All versions since version 9 can open version 9 files. There is still a good offer until 20 December 2017 that previous users can upgrade and receive pdfToolbox. But I would try the above update first.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby navair » 11 Dec 2017, 02:13

Great answer, however I tried the update 6-times and just before it finishes it says update failed try contacting the software company which I guess won't work since they don't support this any more. I'll start trying your second suggestion trying to turn on hidden files, if that doesn't work, when I try to create a new preferences folder and put it in the applications folder, that is the Quark folder? or a general applications folder ?

Thank you your help thus far.

Steve Ginter
navair

Postby MikeWenzloff » 11 Dec 2017, 13:26

Hopefully this will fix the issue...but let us know either way.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby navair » 12 Dec 2017, 17:03

Still could not make it work. will reloading my original version of Quark 9.1 even though mine is at 9.3.1 now work?

I tried putting a new folder in the Quark folder but maybe I labeled it wrong. is it Express Preferences.prf? or something else??
navair

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General