QuarkXPress 9 now crashes on Windows 10

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

QuarkXPress 9 now crashes on Windows 10

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 13 Jan 2017, 06:55

Hi all,

please note that QuarkXPress 9 was never supported on Windows 10, meaning that Quark didn't test this combination and also never provided support for this combination. Nevertheless we heard from many customers that they run QuarkXPress 9 with minor hiccups under Windows 10.

Now Microsoft seem to have changed something in newer versions of Windows 10, which crash QuarkXPress 9 upon launch.

We believe that these changes were most likely introduced in "Windows 10 - Version 1607", however as we are not supporting this combination we do not have further details on this and also are not planning to investigate this further.

This is just an FYI, please either stay on previous versions of Windows 10. Or consider upgrading to a newer version of QuarkXPress, which is supported on Windows 10: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27713

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: QuarkXPress 9 now crashes on Windows 10

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Jan 2017, 10:00

Hello Matthias--all true. The issue came in with the Anniversary update to Windows 10. I completely, fully understand and agree that version 9 was never supported for Windows 10.

Unless one is on an Enterprise version of Windows 10, there is no way to block updates. And even if one rolled-back to a pre-Anniversary update Windows 10, it will come right back without a means of preventing it. That aside from the security risks of so doing, it would be wiser if people rolled-back to windows 8.1 or 7 altogether. They still get security updates and in the case of Windows 8.1, some enhancements as required.

For myself, I should build a box that uses Windows 8.1 for running version 9. I have a few clients where I have to use version 9. If it wasn't for them and the need for XML, I would only be using QXP 2016. It is just a better application in every respect.

I personally have not had any issues using Windows 10 and QXP 9 if I do not try to create a new document. I also have the opening dialog (Welcome screen) disabled. I can open existing documents, use the XML, etc., just fine from that point on. So I have made a few "blank" documents to open instead of creating new ones. I did that by opening existing documents and deleting all contents and saving those as "templates" from which to start new ones.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 13 Jan 2017, 11:42

Has anyone tried to run QuarkXPress.exe as Administrator? Does Win10 generate errors even in this case? (Right-click on .exe file).

I'm running various open source software on Win 10, and I received a lot of error messages. After choosing "Run as Administrator", they've run without generating errors.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby MikeWenzloff » 13 Jan 2017, 15:06

Hi Max,

Yes, I have tried using run as admin. No joy.

I dislike the thought of installing a VM and another version of Windows just for a couple of clients clinging onto an out-of-date OS and QXP version. If I haven't made a decent amount of money from them over the years I would just inform them to find another provider or update. I've got an XP Pro box up and going as of this morning (complete with a 17" CRT!) and will likely just use it for these couple holdouts and for my host-based seps.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 14 Jan 2017, 03:40

Hi Mike,

That's what I am doing: I have different workstations running different OS. Recently I've bought a new laptop for testing Win 10. I am not going to upgrade to Win 10 till I'll be convinced it'll run without any problem.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General