help centering variable length text

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

help centering variable length text

Postby jrfarwell » 20 Apr 2017, 09:10

I am using QuarkXPress 6.1 to create an EPS file. the EPS file is later merged with a string of data to print the form.

I would like to center text on this form, however the text varies in length.

When I create the form, I use @###@ as the text, where ### is a three digit number representing the position in the text string of the required data. (i.e @002@ tells the software to grab the second group of data in the text string and insert it in that position on the form)

When I center the @###@ in QuarkXPress, it looks correct.

When the form prints, if the inserted data is 5 characters, it is correctly centered. if the inserted data is 15 characters, the first 5 are centered and the remaining ten overflow to the right.

Any suggestions?
jrfarwell

Re: help centering variable length text

Postby MikeWenzloff » 20 Apr 2017, 10:41

Interesting. The only thing I can think of is to use a much longer code to pad. A worse case length padded with more zeroes. But seeing how eps may not have any concept of centering, I have no idea if that works.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General