Text alignment

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Text alignment

Postby Ray200 » 02 Jul 2017, 09:36

Hi folks,
I have an old version of Quark (8.5) and I'm having trouble getting the text to be justified throughout the layout. To explain: I'm working on a booklet and would like the text to be justified throughout the layout. Simple: Modify>Text>Vertical Alignment>Justified.
The problem occurs when I add a picture into each page. Whether the picture is centred or not, it affects the text, and despite choosing Justified (or, indeed, any alignment) nothing happens--the vertical alignment remains as original, ie, Top. It seems Quark is justifying the text based on the text alone without taking into account how the text shifts once a picture is added to the page (does that make sense?). In short, the text is not evenly spread throughout the text box. It looks odd at the moment with some pages with text justified, and other pages with pictures in them not justified and set to the Top default. Is this a quirk of Quark or am I erring somewhere? Any help is greatly valued.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Re: Text alignment

Postby eyoungren » 02 Jul 2017, 11:54

When you add the pictures do they have runaround applied?

Trying to recall how this worked oh so many years ago when I was using 8.x.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Postby MikeWenzloff » 02 Jul 2017, 16:48

If I recall, vertical text alignment in a text box is ignored when an image is present and has wrap-around applied. I think this is still true but would need to fire up version 2017 to confirm. Ah, heck, give me a minute...

Yep. The only way to maintain say a centered vertical alignment is to make the image in-line.
MikeWenzloff

Postby eyoungren » 02 Jul 2017, 18:11

That's how I recall it.

Happens in InDesign as well.
Erik Youngren • Pueblo Publishers, Composing Manager
2.8Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro | InDesign CS4 | Suitcase Fusion 5
erik.youngren@erikyoungren.com
Quark forum member since 2001
eyoungren

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General