Bleed over gutter? QE10

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Bleed over gutter? QE10

Postby Dunkel » 21 Aug 2017, 09:47

Hello again everybody!

First - Thank you for your patinence with my questions!

Here is one that I really do not know how to solve... Is there some way to get bleed over the middle section of a spread?
What I try to mumble is that if I have a spread with a image overlapping the gutter, and the »routing margin» (sorry, I do not know these terms in english).

See the image below. Imagine that I have a picture from left to right page. How do I ensure the right bleed in the center, and how do I do that with QE10?

Thanks for all info and replies! I really mean it, thank you!

Dunkel

Re: Bleed over gutter? QE10

Postby MikeWenzloff » 21 Aug 2017, 12:39

I'm not entirely certain what is being asked. So please excuse me if this doesn't answer the question.

Any image that spans across a two-page spread will be split at the page edge. So here is a two-page spread in Q. I have placed a 4pt line between the pages.

capture-001343.png
capture-001343.png (209.38 KiB) Viewed 337 times

And here is the PDF I made with the spread side-by-side.

capture-001343.png
capture-001343.png (209.38 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Depending upon the binding style, there is nothing to do as the imposition software will do what is required for page creep in the signatures if it is a stitched book. So too with a perfect binding, stapled (like for a magazine, etc), but depending upon the print service, if a clear area is required (like for many POD book establishments) then further action would be needed to have a blank area at the binding.
MikeWenzloff

Postby Dunkel » 22 Aug 2017, 08:34

Okay, thanks. I think I got it. I am not sure... I guess what I try to find out is that is it possible to get bleed between the pages. Like when I print a bigger document in smaller pieces but have overlaps. I try to figure out that is it possible.

Like this, maybe with asymmetrical bleeds:

I have to really check this out, maybe I have missunderstood myself, ha haa! :D
Dunkel

Postby MikeWenzloff » 22 Aug 2017, 09:46

Hah, yes trying something like this would reveal what happens...

Here's another image. Again, a 4pt line was centered between the two-page spread with the crossover image. So the answer is, yes it works fine. As Q should, the line is repeated on both halves of the spread and the bleed is properly present.

capture-001345.jpg
capture-001345.jpg (90.24 KiB) Viewed 300 times
MikeWenzloff

Postby Dunkel » 23 Aug 2017, 00:55

Thank you! OMG :D Thank you very much.
To be honest, I really do not understand what was so difficult for me to understand with this - all these years. Thank you very, very much.

Perfect! Thank you!
Dunkel

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General