QuarkXPress deactivation after BIOS update

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

QuarkXPress deactivation after BIOS update

Postby arodichevski » 03 Oct 2017, 06:38

I have found a problem with QuarkXPress 8.5 installed on Windows 10, DELL XPS laptop computer. Every time I update BIOS of the computer, QuarkXPress thinks it is another computer and converts itself in demo version. So I call the Quark technical support and they activate QuarkXPress program after paying 25€ ticket after every BIOS update.

I suggest to be careful updating BIOS. It is better to transfer license from the pre-updated computer to the after-updated one according to https://quark.parature.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=1272&title=How-to-Transfer-a-License&deptID=30029.

Alexandre
arodichevski

Re: QuarkXPress deactivation after BIOS update

Postby MikeWenzloff » 03 Oct 2017, 10:32

Good point, Alexandre.

I deactivate before any change to the computer (including new hard drives added, etc.). An ounce of prevention and all that.
MikeWenzloff

Postby focus043 » 07 Jun 2018, 06:41

Unfortunately we have this issue for our Quark 10 version since yesterday. The colleague forgot to deactivate Quark just before the BIOS update. Now no activations are possible anymore and the support asks for payment as Quark 10 is out of support. Finally we are not able to work with Quark 10 anymore as long as we are not willing to pay for a sofware that was bought officially. Quark support let us know that it is just our failure - pay or no use!
To be honest, this is not an acceptable approach for us.
focus043
focus043

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Jun 2018, 06:59

Hi focus,

all software (software versions) will hit end-of-life one day, which means we will not support it anymore (of course it will continue to run). QuarkXPress 10 and before have hit end-of-life, though they will continue to run "forever" as long as you do not change their environment.

Still, of course we are helping you to reactivate previous versions, even if the are not supported anymore (end-of-life). And to help we are talking about a handling fee of €25/$29 or so.

To be clear, is that the issue (the handling fee)?
Just to make sure that you do not feel that you need to upgrade. That's not the case.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby focus043 » 07 Jun 2018, 07:51

Hi Matthias,
indeed, we are talking about the handling fee. I discussed this also with the your colleague on the phone. It is not the amount of money it is just the principle. An issue with the software that occurs if someone is updating the BIOS or UEFI should not be the problem for the customer. On some computers you do not have the chance to stop such an update before deactivation of specific software.
It looks to me like they're trying to get the customer to buy newer versions by any means possible. Sorry, but to me this is not good behavior for a market leader like Quark.
BR
focus043
focus043

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General