QuarkXPress 7.x The "Killer" app!

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Postby eyoungren » 30 Apr 2009, 04:15

7 does ok with just our one page ad documents. But the multipage, multicolumn ones just kill me.
Don't know if I'm willing to try 7.31 at the moment. I tried 7.3, but I still had issues and copy/pasting of libary items started crashing XPress. I'm just hoping they will fix this.
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 05 May 2009, 11:22

Hack, hack, cough, cough, chOKE! Ahhhcccckkkkk![sn][U][&]
eyoungren

Postby choach14 » 08 May 2009, 07:52

We get similar issues with Q7.5 on our intel G5 macs. We use thousands of single page documents with two columns of text and images. They all work great and have no issues with speed. We have a catalog that has chapters reaching 80-100 pages, hundreds of images and each page's text column is linked to the next. Those start to slow down, but are still managable. They are large files though (up to 60 MB sometimes). Then we have an index chapter file. 57 pages, no images, five columns of text per page and all the text boxes linking to the next. It crawls and is really unstable. Click around and make changes to fast without letting the prgram catch up and Quark takes a nose dive. It's always been a frustrating chapter to work on.
choach14

Postby eyoungren » 12 May 2009, 07:45

So, I'm tired of iTunes 8 eating my CPU. So I go in and turn some more stuff off (I've already shut off some other stuff previously. I also open System Prefs and shut off some QT stuff. So, now my CPU is in a range I can handle.So, I'm playing iTunes and working in XPress and guess what. There's a small speed bump! Not anything impressive, but it's almost where I can tolerate the slowness.So I ask. What in God's holy name does iTunes and Quicktime have to do with XPress 7.x? Other than the fact that QT is integrated into the OS and iTiunes I know makes some calls on QT, but geez it affects XPress?
eyoungren

Postby Phil in Welland » 12 May 2009, 09:07

Erik,
I dont know if this will help regarding the slow text flow, but Ive recently been working on a series of price lists, each 16 pages of A4 size.
The first couple of price lists were no trouble at all, even when working directly off a small portable USB drive. Inserting or deleting was instantaneous.
The third price list behaved differently. There was a delay with every keystroke.
I moved the job off the external onto the hard disc, and no change.
The only other difference between this price list and the previous two is that this one is imposed in printers pairs. As soon as I unimposed it to make a document of 16 single pages, keystokes became instantaneous again.
Ive been doing these price lists for several years now and never noticed a problem when doing them in Quark 5.

Quark 7.5, Intel iMac, 2Gb

Phil
Phil in Welland

Postby eyoungren » 12 May 2009, 10:12

Thanks Phil for the suggestion. It correlates to the multicolumn text box issue. I'm not using printer spreads and this slowness occurs even when I'm working local. I was doing all my formatting in a single column box and then pasting in to the main document for awhile, but after awhile that just got old. This needs to be fixed.I'd try using 6 one column text boxes, but my recent experiences with two of the pubs I set disabused me of that notion. I had to do them in QXP 6 to get anything done.
eyoungren

Postby chandlerbing » 14 May 2009, 09:07

I've been told that Quark 7.5 has issues running with Tiger on some machines, but that an upgrade to Leopard would fix it. I have occasional agonizing slowdowns on my old G4, but restarting Quark usually fixes it. I've never noticed any problem on the Intel at work (also using Tiger) but someone I spoke with about our set-up said they were surprised it was working. So I can't verify the diagnosis or the solution, but it might be worth passing on the info for whatever it's worth.
chandlerbing

Postby eyoungren » 14 May 2009, 09:41

Thanks for that. I can quit XPress and then reload it and I get some speed back. I've done that a few times, but even the best speed I can manage with as many apps closed as I can afford, XPress reniced, font caches cleaned, JAWS folder deleted, etcetera that speed is still SLOWER than QXP 6.52 with all of my working/entertainment apps open and the Mac needing maintenance.
It's an issue with the optimization of the Motorola chip. Going to Leopard might help me, but there's no budget for that right now. I'm still waiting to hear back on this issue (I sent some files a while back and was told that the underlying problem (not the files) was being looked at). To date I haven't heard back. I believe in the people at Quark so I know that the delay is because they have other things to do then to simply concentrate on my problem alone and I hope they may be working on the issue.
In any case, right now, I'm stuck with what I have.
eyoungren

Postby eyoungren » 17 Jun 2009, 05:54

Well, there has been no resolution on this for me.Going back to Q6 is not an option for me now as Q6 doesn't want to print from our Xante's Cassette tray (Tabloid). I tested ID CS2 (we have it for our Macs to be compatible with Editorial) with exported text from our legal documents. Seems to be handling it very well with the speed I am accustomed to under QX6.
Look's like I'm heading down the ID road unfortunately. To be honest I think I knew it was coming. Freehand was better than Illy and XPress is better than ID, but this slowdown is still killing me and ID has proven in the past that it just works.
eyoungren

Postby Rob@Quark » 25 Jun 2009, 03:57

Erik,
A G5 is considerably slower than any of the Intel Macs, but I suspect the main problem is the multi-column setup. There have been a few performance problems with that and if I remember, some fixed in 7.x releases and a few in 8.x releases. Not sure who at Quark you were working with before, but I'll PM you so you can send me a sample file.

Regards,
Rob Keeble
Tech Lead | Text & Typography | QuarkXPress
Rob@Quark

PreviousNext

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General