Former/returning Quark user with a question on opacity/trans

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com

Postby vita64 » 17 Mar 2010, 05:37

I have 12 years of Quark XPress experience (1992-2004) primarily in Quark 2 and 3 with some 4. I haven't used it much since, but do have a copy of Quark 7. I'm designing a book cover for someone and they want a semi-transparent text box to sit on top of a photograph. Back in the day, I would have done this in Photoshop, but I see that it's now possible to do it directly in Quark which, for simplicity reasons, I would prefer. My question is rather straight forward. Since it's been YEARS since I've done graphic design at all and I've never done transparency directly in Quark, I'm unsure of just how transparent to make my text box with white background in order to 1) still see the photograph beneath while 2) still being able to read the text above. Right now I have it set to 50% opacity. The photo beneath is not primarily dark or light, but a good mix of both. The text is black.Also, if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of, a heads up would be most appreciated.All replies are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
vita64

Postby mac_nick » 17 Mar 2010, 05:59

Sometimes I combine a text object and a plain transparent white box. I arrange the text over the white box and adjust the transparency based on the colors of the underlying picture. But in the end you get the same result.
mac_nick

Postby eyoungren » 17 Mar 2010, 06:20

mac_nick's suggestion is good. And it will allow you to do the following if in all your adjustments you still cannot read the type clearly.
Apply a drop shadow to the text. If done on the separate text box it will apply to the text only (you don't want to apply it to the box with the transparency as it won't apply to the text). That should make the type more legible.
eyoungren

Postby vita64 » 17 Mar 2010, 07:34

Thank you both. Excellent suggestions. I had already realized the necessity of two boxes because the ghosting bleeds, but I want the type to be centered on just the non-bleed portion. Yes, I could've solved that with a right indent, but I loathe math. *grin* Also, I don't know why I wasn't already incorporating a drop shadow on the text. I certainly use that device where ghosting isn't being used for type on top of a photograph.In the past, when trying to determine something such as what percentage the opacity should be, I would ask a coworker who'd perhaps learned the hard way that X% wasn't really legible with a dark photo on newsprint or a mixed photo on glossy stock. As a freelancer, I don't have that luxury any longer and I HATE to guess. I know there are too many factors for anyone to give me a definitive answer, not the least of which are the printer, the paper stock and the photo itself. At best I'm going to have to go with an educated guess.Thanks again.
vita64

Re: How do I fix Ghosting problem with drop shadows?

Postby TedDeCagna » 06 Sep 2017, 10:58

Hello, I am a long time Quark User and I still like Quark 9.5.4, My problem is when applying a drop shadow to picture boxes with a photo, I sometimes get a light tint ghosted shadow on my background. When I called tech support about this issue in the past I was told, make sure in drop shadow setting to uncheck Multiply Drop Shadow and Inherit Drop Shadow Opacity, And in Export PDF, under Transparency make sure it set to Export Transparency natively. The problem is even with these items checked sometimes it works perfectly but lately it still showing the ghosting shadow I don't want. Has anyone come across this problem and how do I fix it without upgrading to newer Quark, new operating system, new computer, And all other softwares at great expense? Thank you very Much Ted DeCagna, Cranford, NJ 908-272-6777
TedDeCagna

Re: Former/returning Quark user with a question on opacity/t

Postby MikeWenzloff » 06 Sep 2017, 16:08

Dunno what is happening. Are there transparent areas in the image? If not, and in case the box is set to transparent, try setting the box fill to white.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General