Any tricks for Importing Images?

This forum is not about asking questions, this is for YOU SHARING your favorite production tips and productivity trick in QuarkXPress. Looking forward to learn about your time savers.

Postby joanneatduncan » 13 Jan 2005, 16:31

Does anyone know if there is a way to import a renamed image so it keeps the same measurement info as the old without having to delete (or hide) the old image? I work with multiple versions of multiple images and Quark Docs and it would be nice to not have to write down the measurement info (i.e. percentages, rotations, and x and y coordinates) - thought maybe there was a trick I don't know about. I use Quark 6.5 on Mac OS X.

Thank you.
joanneatduncan

Postby joanneatduncan » 19 Jan 2005, 12:40

if you want to update an image with a renamed image and not delete the old image you can select the picture box with the old image, then go to the "scripts" menu, "images", and "update and retain settings", then select your new image.

sorry for posting my original post in the wrong forum. i'm new to using forums and I misunderstood.
joanneatduncan

Postby prepressguy » 19 Jan 2005, 13:44

You can also download (for free) Badia ReplaceInPlace 1.0.1.xnt
prepressguy

Postby Wesley_C » 25 Jan 2005, 04:24

If You Hold Command (Mac) While Importing A Color Image, It Comes In Black And White. :shock:
Wesley_C

Postby Juno Atkings » 10 Feb 2005, 17:14

[strong]Wesley_C:[/strong]If You Hold Command (Mac) While Importing A Color Image, It Comes In Black And White. :shock:

How are you importing? I highlight or select the frame i want to import image into then Command+E opens a dialog window where I can navigate to the image i want to use. click ok then the image USUALLY imports into the frame as is. Make sure what format and color profile the image is you are importing, some do funny things when imported into quark. Also make sure if it is rgb or cmyk imported to what type of color profile your document is can make a difference also. Sometimes EPS images will go to black or greyscale upon import too. Might be something to check out there.
hope it helps.
Juno Atkings

Postby jedi-mike » 17 Feb 2005, 07:01

You can also import non-postscript format images (eg. JPEG or TIFF) into a picture box as even lower-res picture views. Press and hold Option/Alt+Shift keys when you click on the open button.

After importing an image, you can do a number of little useful tricks with them...
1) Center image in box: Apple+Shift+M
2) Fill image to box dimensions (disproportionate): Apple+Shift+F
3) Fit image in box (proportionately): Apple+Alt+Shift+F
jedi-mike

Postby Jlbozeman26 » 17 Nov 2010, 09:56

Ok, can I do this with Windows?
Jlbozeman26

Postby max.peter » 17 Nov 2010, 19:26

Of course you can. The shortcuts are the same but instead using Command key (there is not such a key on a Windows keyboard), use the Control key.
If you have Quark v.7 or 8, you may look in the program's folder (drive:\Program Files\Quark\...\Documents), you have there a pdf file with all shortcuts used by QuarkXPress.
Quark on Windows have all the functions and commands present in the MacOS platform.
max.peter

Re: Any tricks for Importing Images?

Postby Jyotipat » 26 Oct 2014, 01:11

For Quark 9 and 10. Can one replace an image with a new image and retain the same specs as the original image?
Larry Winer
Jyotipat

Re: Any tricks for Importing Images?

Postby Jyotipat » 27 Oct 2014, 02:56

In Quark 6.5 there was a pull-down menu which enabled one to simply replace a picture already placed in a box with another picture, while maintaining all specs.

I don't see this pull-down menu in Quark 10.

Can you explain to me how to accomplish this task?

Thanks.
Jyotipat

Next

Return to QuarkXPress: Tips and Tricks