Hidden (and experimental) HTML5 feature in QuarkXPress

This forum is not about asking questions, this is for YOU SHARING your favorite production tips and productivity trick in QuarkXPress. Looking forward to learn about your time savers.

Hidden (and experimental) HTML5 feature in QuarkXPress

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 11 Jun 2015, 02:46

Hi all,

we have an experimental feature in regards to HMTL5 export implemented in QuarkXPress. It's hidden, so you can't access it.

Experimental means, we decided not to release it as a shipping feature and it also was not extensively tested. However for some of you it might be the best thing since sliced bread, whereas especially if you don't care about electronic publishing it might have no value.

Good news, it's easily enabled in your existing installation of QuarkXPress 2015 (and even 10).

Question: Are you interested in seeing this? Our Facebook page is looking for 15 likes in order to convince me :o to reveal it.
https://www.facebook.com/officialQuarkX ... 5084505367

Once we do, what I am interested in is real user feedback: So whether you see this as valuable and want us to consider something like that as a real feature for future versions.

Thanks
Matthias

P.S.: I think they should have gone for 2015 likes ;)
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Hidden (and experimental) HTML5 feature in QuarkXPress

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 12 Jun 2015, 02:12

Hi all,

ok, as we got well over 100 likes for disclosing the feature, I'll create a small video showing it and also writing instructions how you can enable it. Will post it later today or on Monday.

Thanks
Matthias
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:

Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby QuarkUserInForum » 12 Jun 2015, 07:28

Matthias, write today, please! :D
QuarkUserInForum

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 12 Jun 2015, 08:11

Hi everybody,

so there's the video showing you how the feature works and also how you enable it in QuarkXPress 2015 (and 10.5):
https://youtu.be/-ZUFuZ_7Fjg

Disclaimer: This feature is experimental and should only be used for testing. We will not fix any bugs found in this feature. Also it doesn't promise anything or give you a hint where we are going. We might also just remove it again from QuarkXPress.

Is that a direction we should continue? If yes, what would you use it for (use case, deliverables etc.)?
Let me know what you think please.

Thanks
Matthias

P.S.: In case you couldn't see it well in the video, here's how the settings.xml needs to look like:
(the blue part is the part you need to insert)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
<Configuration Version='0900'>
<HTMLPreviewEnabled>Yes</HTMLPreviewEnabled>
<PreferencesLocation>
<Win></Win>
<Mac></Mac>
</PreferencesLocation>
</Configuration>

Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby MikeWenzloff » 12 Jun 2015, 09:10

Hi Matthias--watched the video, will likely need to watch it again before I play with the feature. But from what I saw, that's pretty nice. Tentatively, yes, keep it would be my vote. I'll let you know what I think after giving it a whirl later tonight.

Mike
MikeWenzloff

Postby max.peter » 12 Jun 2015, 14:13

I love it! Thank you Matthias!
Every day is a good day to learn something new.
max.peter

Postby mac_nick » 13 Jun 2015, 02:15

Stunning
mac_nick

Postby franz.wohlkoenig » 13 Jun 2015, 06:42

Hi,

tried to Export Pages 4-6 of an 24-pages qxp: Got Pictures, *.css from a Page i don't choosed but no *.html, no Browser opened. Tried to export all Pages: Same Picures, css-Files, no html-Files, no Browser.

Have to rename one of 2 *.css-Files (ProjectCSS > ProjectCSS.html). Got a blank Screen, but SourceCode shows Article.

Regards
27" iMac • 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 12 GB Memory • System: 10.10.5
XPress since 3.1, actual 2015
franz.wohlkoenig

Postby AndAnAs » 15 Jun 2015, 09:28

Matthias, thanks for new function!
You asked to leave a response. Here my thoughts about it.

I am sure that functions of development of web pages in QuarkXPress are necessary. The speech not about the blogs and the sites operated by CMS. I speak about the static HTML5 pages (selling sites, lending pages, portfolios, feedback pages, e-mails).
Such minimum of opportunities is in my opinion necessary:

— Visual imposition exported to HTML5/XHTML (the scale of 100%; units of measure pixels/em, en/points).
— Connection and display of web fonts (own, from Myfonts or Fontfont library)
— The project including some versions (desktop, tablet and mobile layout with a different width of the page; width fixed or adaptive to the specified limits; content in 2x HiDPI/Retina).
— The size of the screen of the device and its permission have to be defined by a script. Depending on it the corresponding version has to be loaded.
— Length of the page of the model infinite or is much more than 3450 pixels available in QXP 5-9.
— Synchronization of content between these models to avoid duplication and increase in time of loading (graphics, the text, objects and groups; sequence of objects). It is realized due to expansion of opportunities of Synchronised Content, Reflow Tagging.

— User-designed forms (as jQuery): buttons, flags, fields, simply Capcha.
— Changed properties of objects for different states.
— Specially designated zones of "Headings" or "Top menu" which won't move and disappear at a scrolling.

— "Caroussel" (photos slideshow) with the fixed and adaptive width and/or height, with dots, arrows and preview miniatures.
— Full-screen photos and videos (width all browser window, can be a background or foreground with close button).

— HTML5-video with a simple player, introduction of video with YouTube and Vimeo.
— Social widgets (likes and comments from Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Vk-com).
— Add frames with the user HTML code (including third-party widgets, Google Analytics etc.). Here from QuarkXPress the window for input of this code, similar to Story Editor is required; visualization of result directly in the layout (perhaps, by third-party browser).

— Simple HTML5-animation (as now in AppStudio-projects).
— Effects of a parallax (the non-uniform motion of objects which is adjusted manually at a scrolling).

The most part of the listed opportunities already was in QXP 5-9. Something worked badly and looked unmodernly. It is sure, it can be corrected.

And other functionality creates the sufficient and modern tool for all who is engaged in design in HTML5.
Often it is enough of it.

This functionality would be the good competitor for Serif WebPlus and Muse. Why it has to be in QuarkXPress? Because now the printing industry is reduced and interfaced to the Internet. Printing experts and designers are ready to pass into new branch. But habitual tools are necessary for them. They need the software which is capable to give out result both for the press, and for the Internet. It simplifies transition of branch. It reduces working hours of experts. It cuts down expenses on the software. It adds loyalty. It seems to me, this functionality will help QuarkXPress to survive and increase clients from new and adjacent market segments.

Matthias, what you think of these ideas?

Ask colleagues and other users to express on a subject.
AndAnAs

Postby Tony C » 15 Jun 2015, 11:33

I think this is really useful. We recently paid an agency to create an HTML5 version of a print publication to use as an online resource, creating a web resource from the publication. It's been a very popular way of accessing the info. Definitely something we would do with this added functionality. It's the future, as somebody else commented.
Tony C

Next

Return to QuarkXPress: Tips and Tricks