Character altered

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Re: Character altered

Postby Ray200 » 12 Jan 2017, 11:56

Thanks for the info. Now updated to 8.5 and ... voila! It worked! When exporting as a PDF all upper case characters are now showing as they should with the accents in the proper places. I did nothing to the Quark file other than installing the update (I thought I'd just print it before I mess about with any of the options in the Transparency section).
Hmm, so what caused the original problem? Is my copy of Quark corrupted in some way? Can't see how as it's a genuine one and has never given me a moment's bother since I got it. Did the update somehow 'fix' a bug? Either way, I'm just happy the problem has been solved. Only took me 3 days of trying before I posted here!
To everyone who posted, many thanks. This problem was driving me mad and as my deadline is only 2 days away, I was beginning to think I'd never get this fixed.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Postby UtahLlama » 12 Jan 2017, 17:32

v7 was the first version of quark that had any transparency options, When it came to output it was a nightmare, all sorts of weird errors would arrive in your pdf. v8.0 was a bit better but 8.1 was a massive jump forward, i'm guessing they rewrote a lot of code to get it to write postscript with PDFMarks its possible your issue was fixed then.
UtahLlama

Postby Ray200 » 16 Jan 2017, 04:40

Yes, it looks like a problem with Quark. The upgrade sorted it and the trial version of Quark 2016 is fine. Problem appears to be with the transparency: the paper texture layer was covering the text, but it was set to only 5% opacity and shouldn't have made any difference to the legibility or colour of the text. It didn't, but for some reason it affected upper case letters with accents only. I shifted the paper to below the text on a friend's laptop using 8.1 and all was fine. It just seemed to be a quirk of that programme. Upgraded to 8.5 regardless and whether the paper is above or below the text, it works perfectly. A minor problem but took me days to figure out.

Best,
Ray
Ray200

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)