Output Reduced Size pdf_Q9.5

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Postby catgraphics » 09 Jan 2014, 03:26

How can I output a reduced size pdf through the export as pdf setting. We are sending a letter size document to a cold web press and need the pages to reduce to 97% to fit the template. I am concerned that "printing" to the adobe pdf will not hold the same output settings. How also can I specify color profile on the pdf output as cmyk web uncoated.
catgraphics

Postby max.peter » 09 Jan 2014, 05:35

Hello catgraphics,
For a reduced size of a pdf you have to print your layout to a virtual postscript printer. After printing, you have to distill the PS file you got using Adobe Acrobat Distiller, set on a prefered .joboption.
Read your OS user guide to see how to create a virtual postscript printer, or do a search on Google.
You can also create a new Quark file (save your project with another name), open it in QuarkXPress and scale it to the desired percentage or new size (go to Window > Scale to open the Scale palette and input the new desired sizes, then check the "Layout" checkbox). Then you can export the modified project to a PDF file.
Hope these can help you.
max.peter

Postby catgraphics » 12 Jan 2014, 03:46

I used this scale function and to my great dismay, every document would not open afterward; i.e., became corrupt; and the original document was corrupted if I did the scale, then did a save as; as well. It works; but corrupts the document.
catgraphics

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)