"unlinking" photos for PDF output

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Postby Tom Kirkman » 14 Nov 2013, 08:40

I am attempting to save some previous magazine layouts as PDF files for online viewing. I do not need the high resolution photos linked to the layout - they only increase file size and the low res versions used by Quark for on screen viewing are fine. How would I unlink the actual photo files so that I can save to PDF with only the low res versions remaining in place? Thanks.
Tom Kirkman

Postby max.peter » 14 Nov 2013, 23:24

Hello Tom,
Just move the pictures folder to another location, and the links become broken (DON'T DELETE them, just move them, maybe later you'll need a high resolution version).
In fact, you can get a small size pdf without breaking the links to the photos. When exporting to pdf choose "Screen, low quality, low resolution" and you'll get a small pdf file with small resolution of the pictures within it.
Hope this can help you.
max.peter

Postby Tom Kirkman » 19 Nov 2013, 10:20

Thanks, I've done that before, but I'd have to move hundreds of photo files in order to do that and really don't want to move them from where they're saved at. Just a heck of a lot of work. I may try saving the file at the low resolution version provided it still looks good on screen.
Tom Kirkman

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)