Pixellated vector eps when making PDF from Quark 9

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Postby kgkoop » 05 Jun 2011, 01:56

Hi Nick & Anthony,you're not alone ;-)The same thing is happening with my Quark 9 - it's a strange thing ... I'll stick with 8.5 until this issue is resolved,cause I simply don't have the time for this.CheersKlaus
kgkoop

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Jul 2011, 01:19

Hi Anthony and everybody,
this issue will be fixed in the upcoming 9.0.1 update. We expect the free update to be available online (download and Auto Updater) latest by end of next week.
Regards
Matthias
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby max.peter » 07 Jul 2011, 01:55

It's good to know, thank you Matthias.
Regards
max.peter

Postby Anto38x » 07 Jul 2011, 07:42

Cheers for the update Matthias... :)Looking forward to that bug being squashed and getting my stuck properly into Quark 9 now... especially with 9.1 only around the corner. A few exciting, stimulating months ahead trying to come to grips with all these new fangled features... :)Take care and talk again soon... :)Regards,Anthony
Anto38x

Postby Kevan Attridge » 14 Jul 2011, 05:35

Hi Matthias,how's progress on this fix? First job from Q9 on new Intel MacPro, and I can't back track to a previous version... not the productivity upgrade I was expecting! Any work arounds would be appreciated as this is stopping jobs getting to press now.Thanks,Kevan
Kevan Attridge

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 14 Jul 2011, 21:14

Hi Kevan,
we will most likely release it next week now, as we wanted to test the update again with Auto Updater to make sure that this time everybody will be able to successfully install it.
I understand your pain and please be assured that we work with all energy on this to release it as soon as possible. And of course we want to make sure that this update will have no additional issues.
Regards
Matthias
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Kevan Attridge » 18 Jul 2011, 23:16

Hi Matthias,This and many other jobs stalled at various printers waiting for a response, so guess what - have had to recreate in InDesign. What a waste of my time! Kevan
Kevan Attridge

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Jul 2011, 22:31

Hi Kevan,
I understand your dilemma and frustration about the bug. However we want to provide you with high-quality software, so it wouldn't help much to release an update that introduces new bugs. Therefore we are holding back and should be able to release this soon.
If in the meantime you need help or workarounds, our Technical Support is always there to help. Of course if you prefer you can also shoot me an email.

Best regards
Matthias
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby kgkoop » 20 Jul 2011, 23:31

Hi Matthias,

and I understand your point of view, because this is most likely the policy that you have to spread in the forum.

However, the side of the customer paints a completely different picture.

Let me sum up a few problems that I have / had with XPress 9.
From Day 1, I was not able to launch XP9 in my Standard Working environment on my MacBook Pro. It worked fine when I logged in as a different user but that is only a very inconvenient workaround. Tech Support was not able to help me with this problem and excuse me for saying so, the dual language barrier was not helpful either. So I decided to shift my investment in a new iMac a little. If I had to 'move' my environment in order to work with the 'new design revolution' then I only wanted to move once.

Now, after successfully launching XP9 on my new iMac, I created a Business Card (Thank God a Business Card only) only to find out, that XP9 is not able to create a print-ready PDF without another workaround.

See, most of us use XPress to earn our money - we work, we get paid - we are following the instructions of TechSupport, we don't get paid.We are no guinea pigs and we did not buy a shipload of bananas which is supposed to ripe at the clients warehouse.We bought, as you said 'high-quality software' and we only expect it to work.

If you would have bought a new car and found out the day of your first trip that the only way to get it in motion is to jumpstart it - what would your reaction be like?

I bought XP9 (sort of) the day it came out but so far it is totally useless to me, because I just can't afford to focus on workarounds!One of the main reasons I decided to buy it, was the possibility to create Apps for the iPad - I'm still waiting for that to happen either.

So - we'll wait for you guys to come up with a solution - there is nothing else that we can do.

Best regards

Klaus
kgkoop

Postby Kevan Attridge » 20 Jul 2011, 23:42

Bravo Klaus,I've been using Quark on Macs since the mid 1980's, and have only just chosen to upgrade from 6.5.2 to 9. Mainly because as a sole trader I can't afford to be left behind, but neither can I afford to be wasting my time pointing out bugs in software. It has always been the same - you invest in a product that is allegedly "fit for purpose" and then find it isn't.Okay, a few new bells and whistles would be great, but for it to suddenly not be able to export print ready PDFs - that's just not right.And no chance of us guinea pigs being offered any money off for the inconvenience, either.Hum ho.Kevan
Kevan Attridge

PreviousNext

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)