Pixellated vector eps when making PDF from Quark 9

Discuss QuarkXPress print functionality and printing workflows

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 27 Jul 2011, 04:25

Hi all,
a small update: We have fixed the issues in QuarkXPress 9 and have a 9.0.1 updater available that solves the issues reported.
However - as communicated before - the Auto Updater seems to experience a serious issue, so we can't distribute the update using this method.
[b]As we understand that a lot of you are awaiting this update urgently, we will make it available as a download from our website. Please also see here: [url=/t/26489.aspx]http://forums.quark.com/t/26489.aspx[/url]
Thank you for your continued support and sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards
Matthias
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 29 Jul 2011, 21:12

Hi all,
QuarkXPress 9.0.1 is now available as a download:
http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Search_Results.aspx?pid=1&oid=0&ftid=2
Regards
Matthias
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby max.peter » 29 Jul 2011, 22:26

Thank You Matthias, much appreciated! I made an announcement on my blog too.
Regards
max.peter

Postby madmike » 26 Sep 2013, 02:25

Dear MatthiasI came across this blog recently in a desperate attempt to resolve this exact issue. You say that 9.0.1 will solve this, but I'm currently working with 9.5.3 and it's doing just that. I've tried all the remedies mentioned in various blogs without success. Eps & ai files print pixelated in any resolution PDF, wether produced by Quark or distiller.I have become so desperate as our office production line has come to a halt, that I'm converting easy projects over to InDesign. From there they output perfectly every time, same graphics, same files, same specifications. You can't imagine how many man hours we've wasted trying to find a solution.I have just placed an order for 2 Quark 10 upgrades with our local vendor, although I don't have the money, hoping against all hope that you may have finally got rid of the problem.Is there a 9.5 solution?Thanks mike from sunny cyprus
madmike

Postby Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 26 Sep 2013, 02:43

Hi Mike,
as far as I know he issue was fixed in 9.0.1 and never came back. Also nobody else reported it since. If you experience such erraneous behavior, please go through official support, as we need the files to try to reproduce it.
To see whether this still happens in QuarkXPress 10, why don't you try the Test Drive, it's free of charge and runs without limitations for 30 days.
Regards
Matthias
Quarkian
Quarkian

Postby madmike » 17 Oct 2013, 01:02

MathiasAs far as we are concerned, it seems that the problem was party resolved. Vector files would print correctly if you re-imported them. If they had an effect applied to them, transparency, shadow etc. no chance. However, we have this week received 2 Quark 10 Upgrades and had hoped that at last all the issues we've been having with eps, ai and PDF files in Quark have finally been resolved.To our dismay, although vector files seem to print ok, new even more severe issues regarding screen display if these vector files and output of images with transparency are even worse. On bringing in a Black vector file and applying a 50% transparency to it, the 50% only shows if the picture box is clicked on, when you go out of that box it goes back to black. On outputting PDF the transparency is clearly printed. If we apply a drop shadow to this vector file, again it doesn't show in quark but outputs correctly on PDF. When importing a PDF with a transparency effect applied within it, the image gets completely distorted on screen, yet prints correctly in PDF.Are we missing some kind of preference, how can we design if the effects we apply to vector images don't display correctly?On simulating a virtual embossed effect, 0% transparency on text with a drop shadow applied and item knocks out shadow etc are all correctly set, looks fine on screen, but doesn't print correctly in PDF (native transparency setting). We have tried Quark 10.0.2 now on 2 iMacs running System 10.8.5 with the same results. Is it us or what? We have PDFs to show you if you wish.We've been loyal Quark users from version 1. By the way same files, same test, excellent results in InDesign.Please help us not feel that we've just wasted 1020,00 and stick with Quark.
madmike

Previous

Return to QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Output (Printing & PDF Export)